Resitting the first year again at another University

Watch
Flamingcheetos
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm not happy at my current University and am looking to change universities, I'm at quite a disadvantage as my A-level grades I was given last year was not the best however I got into a Russell group through clearing. I've spoken to my academic tutors who have advised me to wait until after I get my grades for year 1 and then to contact Universities. But I am wondering is this even possible and wouldn't it be too late? additionally, would I be able to find places through clearing this year?
University of South Wales
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Flamingcheetos)
Hi, I'm not happy at my current University and am looking to change universities, I'm at quite a disadvantage as my A-level grades I was given last year was not the best however I got into a Russell group through clearing. I've spoken to my academic tutors who have advised me to wait until after I get my grades for year 1 and then to contact Universities. But I am wondering is this even possible and wouldn't it be too late? additionally, would I be able to find places through clearing this year?
Hi Flamingcheetos, you will probably receive your Year 1 results soon from your current university. Which course are you studying? With the exception of health care courses such as nursing, paramedic science etc, most universities will have places available on their courses well into August and Early September. I am sure you will be able to find a place in clearing, but would suggest applying as soon as you receive your Year 1 results, to give you the best choice of courses and universities (and certainly before A level results day) I hope this is helpful, good luck and let me know if I can help further Rebecca
Flamingcheetos
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of South Wales)
Hi Flamingcheetos, you will probably receive your Year 1 results soon from your current university. Which course are you studying? With the exception of health care courses such as nursing, paramedic science etc, most universities will have places available on their courses well into August and Early September. I am sure you will be able to find a place in clearing, but would suggest applying as soon as you receive your Year 1 results, to give you the best choice of courses and universities (and certainly before A level results day) I hope this is helpful, good luck and let me know if I can help further Rebecca
thank you so much for your reply. I'm studying law LLB at Uni of Southampton, my only concern is I got into here with ABC and most other Russell group requirments are AAA or AAB minimum. However i am on track to achieve a 2:1, being here has very badly affected my mental health so i need a change.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you so much for your reply. I'm studying law LLB at Uni of Southampton, my only concern is I got into here with ABC and most other Russell group requirments are AAA or AAB minimum. However i am on track to achieve a 2:1, being here has very badly affected my mental health so i need a change.
Flamingcheetos my daughter studying Law LLB at university and is now a qualified solicitor, so keep up the good work! Would it be best to study nearer your home for additional help from family? Please feel free to DM me if you wanted to chat somewhere a bit more private. Take care, you will get this sorted out I am sure, so please don't worry. A 2:1 is a good classification of degree to achieve, by the way! Rebecca
Flamingcheetos
Rep:
?
Hi, I'm not happy at my current University and am looking to change universities, I'm at quite a disadvantage as my A-level grades I was given last year was not the best however I got into a Russell group through clearing with ABC. I've spoken to my academic tutors who have advised me to wait until after I get my grades for year 1 and then to contact Universities, im on track to achieve a 2:1 for Law. But I am wondering is this even possible and wouldn't it be too late? additionally, would I be able to find places through clearing this year?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm not happy at my current University and am looking to change universities, I'm at quite a disadvantage as my A-level grades I was given last year was not the best however I got into a Russell group through clearing with ABC. I've spoken to my academic tutors who have advised me to wait until after I get my grades for year 1 and then to contact Universities, im on track to achieve a 2:1 for Law. But I am wondering is this even possible and wouldn't it be too late? additionally, would I be able to find places through clearing this year?
The longer you wait to apply the smaller your chances of an offer. Once the deadline passes then it's first come first served and clearing is the very last stage.

Look on UCAS course search to see which universities have vacancies still, ring them up quickly to check they're still accepting applications (and to ask if they need LNAT if that's not an option for you) and then get your application off to UCAS ASAP. You'll need an updated PS (talking about all you've enjoyed from your studies this year) and a reference from your current university - plus listing your current studies as well as your A levels in the education section.

If the universities have a condition on you getting a 2:1 from your current year then they can put that in your offer conditions.
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your tutors are talking rubbish. If you want to go elsewhere then you need to apply asap through ucas. Don’t wait.

Universities can make your offer conditional on first year results if they want to.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of South Wales)
Flamingcheetos my daughter studying Law LLB at university and is now a qualified solicitor, so keep up the good work! Would it be best to study nearer your home for additional help from family? Please feel free to DM me if you wanted to chat somewhere a bit more private. Take care, you will get this sorted out I am sure, so please don't worry. A 2:1 is a good classification of degree to achieve, by the way! Rebecca
Hi @Flamingchee, when applying to universities, they will want to know which modules you have studied in your first year and the marks you have achieved. Be mindful that universities study modules at different times within the 3 year degree, but hopefully you have studied the same as your next university offer. This might be worthwhile checking so that you may not have to repeat year 1. I hope this helps - good luck Rebecca
Stychomythia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi FC, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. However, I would suggest that you certainly receive your results before you consider moving on. The principle reason is that you state: "being here has very badly affected my mental health so i need a change."

I don't know if it's been the city or the people on your course/in your halls but you should think carefully about changing uni for this reason. You may only end up somewhere else with no guarantee you will feel better.

I was very depressed in my second year (mostly because of the recent death of my mother) and I was tempted to make all sorts of changes but I emerged with a London 2:1 by sticking with things, and I'm glad I did. If you don't address the underlying issue, it will only follow you to your new place.

Have you sought counselling/therapy at all?
Last edited by Stychomythia; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (115)
27.51%
England (146)
34.93%
Belgium (32)
7.66%
Germany (42)
10.05%
Spain (10)
2.39%