Vicky223
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
i have recently completed my general surgery in India, is there any portal to do Neurosurgery residency in UK. If any kindly share the procedure to enter Neurosurgery programme in UK
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vicky223)
Hi,
i have recently completed my general surgery in India, is there any portal to do Neurosurgery residency in UK. If any kindly share the procedure to enter Neurosurgery programme in UK
Not easy. Have you done the PLAB test?
Vicky223
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
No I have not taken PLAB Test
Yet to give MRCS exam.. Any pathway after clearing MRCS to continue Neurosurgery Speciality Training in UK.. Kindly suggest me.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Vicky223)
No I have not taken PLAB Test
Yet to give MRCS exam.. Any pathway after clearing MRCS to continue Neurosurgery Speciality Training in UK.. Kindly suggest me.
(1) You'll probably need to take the PLAB test first.

(2) Having MRCS is not an essential (or even desirable) criteria to enter ST1 specialty training. It's just that competitive that you'd usually be expected to have lots of publications, presentations, audits etc. (and experience generally). https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk...ST1%202021.pdf Do you have that?

(3) Typically speaking, it's not unusual for trainees to spend a couple of years (at least) to gain further experience before applying to Neurosurgery ST1 - which is why I recommend doing the PLAB and working as a locum neurosurgical* doctor for a bit first. Don't aim to run before you can walk.

Finally: (No offence to you, I post this every time I see it) In proper English, it's not give an exam. In South Asian languages "give" may be the correct verb, but it's take, sit or do an exam in English. Whether in the UK or in Australia, people may be confused if they hear that you're "giving" the test, because it sounds like you're composing the questions or administering it as a examiner.

*I would not locum as a neurosurgical doctor for > a year because it could actually make you ineligible for neurosurgery, so I would potentially work 12 months as a locum in neurosurgery, 6 months in something like ITU and manybe 6 months in anaesthetics or something. It will require negotiation from your end so, again, you'd need to be working here first.
Vicky223
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
(1) You'll probably need to take the PLAB test first.

(2) Having MRCS is not an essential (or even desirable) criteria to enter ST1 specialty training. It's just that competitive that you'd usually be expected to have lots of publications, presentations, audits etc. (and experience generally). https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk...ST1%202021.pdf Do you have that?

(3) Typically speaking, it's not unusual for trainees to spend a couple of years (at least) to gain further experience before applying to Neurosurgery ST1 - which is why I recommend doing the PLAB and working as a locum neurosurgical* doctor for a bit first. Don't aim to run before you can walk.

Finally: (No offence to you, I post this every time I see it) In proper English, it's not give an exam. In South Asian languages "give" may be the correct verb, but it's take, sit or do an exam in English. Whether in the UK or in Australia, people may be confused if they hear that you're "giving" the test, because it sounds like you're composing the questions or administering it as a examiner.

*I would not locum as a neurosurgical doctor for > a year because it could actually make you ineligible for neurosurgery, so I would potentially work 12 months as a locum in neurosurgery, 6 months in something like ITU and manybe 6 months in anaesthetics or something. It will require negotiation from your end so, again, you'd need to be working here first.
Thanq Sir , for giving your valuable time to reply me back and having cleared my queries.
I am happy that you enlightened me in proper usage of English.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (78)
29.1%
No (190)
70.9%

Watched Threads