Elisabeth3210
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know how to answer this question..
The length of a DNA double helix increases by 0.34 nm for every pair of nucleotides.
The total number of nucleotides in a human body cell is 1.2 × 10^10.
Calculate the total length of double helix in a human body cell.
Give your answer in metres.
siarc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it not as simple as translating one nucleotide (0.34nm) into metres (3.4x10^-10 m) then multiplying that by the number of nucleotides in the single cell divided by 2 (1.2x10^10 / 2) to get the total length?

Ball park: 2 metres, but I'll let you do the maths for the exact answer because otherwise its cheating! I think the general consensus is between 2 and 3 metres, but that's probably more exact than the level of the question needs.
Last edited by siarc; 4 weeks ago
Elisabeth3210
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I thought it was that simple siarc but thought I could have done it wrong because the question was worth 5 marks! thanks for the help
JB120X
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Elisabeth3210)
Does anyone know how to answer this question..
The length of a DNA double helix increases by 0.34 nm for every pair of nucleotides.
The total number of nucleotides in a human body cell is 1.2 × 10^10.
Calculate the total length of double helix in a human body cell.
Give your answer in metres.
Did you ever get an answer to this? I was thinking 0.34 x 1.2 x 10(to power of 10)/2 = 2040000000 then convert to metres but not sure if that is right - the answer should be somewhere between 2-3 metres so in right area (just) - could you let me know if you think this is right or someone gave you the right answer - thanks
siarc
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JB120X)
Did you ever get an answer to this? I was thinking 0.34 x 1.2 x 10(to power of 10)/2 = 2040000000 then convert to metres but not sure if that is right - the answer should be somewhere between 2-3 metres so in right area (just) - could you let me know if you think this is right or someone gave you the right answer - thanks
Dont forget to divide the total number of nucleotides by 2 as they come in pairs when multiplying for length.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.26%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.87%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.39%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
23.91%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (28)
12.17%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.39%

Watched Threads