pcpgirl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi,

is it worth doing psychology and sociology joint honours ? would i be able to get into something like neuropsychology or should i just do psychology .. i’m not sure what i want to do yet but i’m interested in crime as well as neurology.
lauren74267
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pcpgirl)
hi,

is it worth doing psychology and sociology joint honours ? would i be able to get into something like neuropsychology or should i just do psychology .. i’m not sure what i want to do yet but i’m interested in crime as well as neurology.
hey there,
i am also considering taking both sociology and psychology, they both go really well together as subjects,
though if you are interested in crime, there is also the criminology A - Level course you could consider, which goes very much into behavior and the human mind, which i would reccommend taking psychology with, as psychology has a lot more science behind it. it also goes into detail more about behaviors and so on , which neuropyscology probably does too,
if you are good at biology, or chemistry i would also suggest you consider this too, having a science as a level behind the brain work that you want a career in will help you a lot, mainly biology though.
You would probably go to university too, maybe.. if so i would definietly recommend taking a science!
i hope i helped
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is the course accredited? You need a BPS accredited undergrad in order to go into psychology
pcpgirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by lauren74267)
hey there,
i am also considering taking both sociology and psychology, they both go really well together as subjects,
though if you are interested in crime, there is also the criminology A - Level course you could consider, which goes very much into behavior and the human mind, which i would reccommend taking psychology with, as psychology has a lot more science behind it. it also goes into detail more about behaviors and so on , which neuropyscology probably does too,
if you are good at biology, or chemistry i would also suggest you consider this too, having a science as a level behind the brain work that you want a career in will help you a lot, mainly biology though.
You would probably go to university too, maybe.. if so i would definietly recommend taking a science!
i hope i helped
thank you for ur reply i was talking about for university not a levels aha but it’s okay thank you !
pcpgirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Is the course accredited? You need a BPS accredited undergrad in order to go into psychology
yep it is from what i’ve seen
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi,

Hi there!

It's great to hear your thinking about doing Psychology and Sociology joint honours! Do you know what university/universities that you're interested in studying at? If there is, then you could look into the modules of each course. This way you can see if the modules involve crime or neuropsychology etc. If it is accredited by the BPS you most likely will touch on biological psychology and therefore learn about neurology. I would say these subjects do go really well together as there is parts of psychology that goes hand in hand with sociology. It's okay not to know what to do yet, and I think it's great that you've picked this based on what you're interested in!

I am a psychology student so if you do have any questions, please let me know!

Becca
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi,

Neurology is a medical specialty; to become a neurologist (like ecolier!) you need to do a medical degree. It is not the same as neuroscience, neurobiology, neurophysiology, or neuropsychology (although may well work with professionals in those areas, and aspects of the basic neurobiology/physiology will form part of the medical training/degree). You cannot become a neurologist without doing a medical degree, sooner or later.

Sociology is much more on the social science, rather than experimental science, side of things and it is likely a joint honours degree in sociology and psychology will focus more on those aspects of psychology (e.g. social and developmental psychology, individual differences and personality) rather than the neuroscience-y things. That said if it is still a BPS accredited psychology degree then you'll still cover a fair bit of the scientific elements due to the accreditation requriements.

However if you are interested in the neuroscience side of things I would recommend you do a single honours psychology degree or look for joint honours courses in psychology and/with (cognitive) neuroscience. Also look for the more "scientific" psychology courses (e.g. at UCL, Cambridge, and Oxford) where they will focus more on that material. Noodlzzz might be able to advise on what to look for in psychology courses (joint honours or otherwise) if you are keen on the neuroscience elements
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Neurology is a medical specialty; to become a neurologist (like ecolier!) you need to do a medical degree. It is not the same as neuroscience, neurobiology, neurophysiology, or neuropsychology. You cannot become a neurologist without doing a medical degree, sooner or later....
Thank you, I think OP @pcgirl is thinking of neuroscience rather than neurology the medical specialty!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Thank you, I think OP @pcgirl is thinking of neuroscience rather than neurology the medical specialty!
I thought as much, but figured I'd clarify about it in case they were wanting to go into neurology but didn't realise they needed a medical degree for that
SEJ43
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This new Human Biology and Behaviour course at Kent might work - covers psych, forensics, anthropology and neuroscience
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/under...-and-behaviour
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi,

A few things to note:
- if BPS accredited doing a join degree is fine career wise in psych
- crime and neurology (assuming neuroscience) are very, very different things and require some thinking and researching about as this while dictate your undergrad direction
- what A-levels are you doing? For psych most (high especially) universities ask for 2+ STEM, with neuroscience I would expect this to be required than just desired
- look into the differences between neurology and neuroscience

(Original post by artful_lounger)
I thought as much, but figured I'd clarify about it in case they were wanting to go into neurology but didn't realise they needed a medical degree for that
Thanks as always AL!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (46)
28.93%
No (113)
71.07%

Watched Threads