fdsfsdfsfdsdf
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
define gene mutation and explain how gene mutation can have : no effect on an individual and a positive effective on and individual

Not too sure on what to do on the questions - this questions is 4 marks btw
Last edited by fdsfsdfsfdsdf; 8 months ago
cow033
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Gene mutation: alteration to base sequence of a gene
It can have no effect if its degenerate: i.e. if the mutation was a substitution of the third base, and it made the same amino acid anyway.
An example of a positive mutation could be with sickle cell anaemia - a hereditary blood disease caused by a mutation that makes it more likely for those affected to survive malaria
Agashii_
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
a gene mutation is a change in the base sequence of DNA.

uhh it can have no effect sometimes when its a substitution mutation because of the degenrate nature of DNA (I think that's the right word to use) because the same amino acid can be coded for by more then one codon.

positive effective- gives them advantageous alleles maybe? so they can survive and reproduce
fdsfsdfsfdsdf
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by cow033)
Gene mutation: alteration to base sequence of a gene
It can have no effect if its degenerate: i.e. if the mutation was a substitution of the third base, and it made the same amino acid anyway.
An example of a positive mutation could be with sickle cell anaemia - a hereditary blood disease caused by a mutation that makes it more likely for those affected to survive malaria
Thanks 👍🏼👍🏼🙏🏻👍🏼
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.69%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.81%
Revision guides (19)
5.04%
Past papers (172)
45.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed