The Student Room Group

Can you develop lactose intolerance

I always thought it was something you developed at birth or at least when you are young.

Recently my stomach as been making really loud noises after having milk, cheese, ice cream etc. But today I had a McFlurry and I was physically sick after it. My stomach is still hurting now after 5 hours. This is the first time I’ve been sick but my stomach has hurt so bad and grumbles after most dairy things I have. I’m gutted (no pun intended) do you think I should cut dairy out of my diet?
Original post by Ivyreign
I always thought it was something you developed at birth or at least when you are young.

Recently my stomach as been making really loud noises after having milk, cheese, ice cream etc. But today I had a McFlurry and I was physically sick after it. My stomach is still hurting now after 5 hours. This is the first time I’ve been sick but my stomach has hurt so bad and grumbles after most dairy things I have. I’m gutted (no pun intended) do you think I should cut dairy out of my diet?

As far as I know you can develop lactose intolerance at any age. You could try cutting dairy out of your diet for a little bit to see if it makes any improvements- and if it does look into lactose free alternatives of foods you enjoy like ice cream and such.
Regardless, though, I'd also recommend making an appointment with your GP if you're having bad stomach pains that last hours.
In the short term, ginger can help settle the stomach so maybe try some ginger tea or ginger biscuits if you like those. You can buy ginger tea bags in some places (often I think its ginger and lemon), but you can also make your own by peeling and slicing ginger and steeping it in boiling water (though in my experience its a bit tasteless.. but i also might have done it wrong) Honey is nice in ginger tea. I'd also recommend a hot water bottle if you have one. I hope you get to the bottom of this, it's never fun to be in pain :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by flavouredwater
As far as I know you can develop lactose intolerance at any age. You could try cutting dairy out of your diet for a little bit to see if it makes any improvements- and if it does look into lactose free alternatives of foods you enjoy like ice cream and such.
Regardless, though, I'd also recommend making an appointment with your GP if you're having bad stomach pains that last hours.
In the short term, ginger can help settle the stomach so maybe try some ginger tea or ginger biscuits if you like those. You can buy ginger tea bags in some places (often I think its ginger and lemon), but you can also make your own by peeling and slicing ginger and steeping it in boiling water (though in my experience its a bit tasteless.. but i also might have done it wrong) Honey is nice in ginger tea. I'd also recommend a hot water bottle if you have one. I hope you get to the bottom of this, it's never fun to be in pain :frown:

Thanks, I haven’t been to the GP since I was 10 so I don’t really want to go haha. I’ve herd ginger works wonders I’ll try that. The pain has eased over the past hour but still hurts. I think I’m going to try going totally dairy free to see if that helps then try to re introduce dairy food that isn’t has direct as milk, ice cream, cheese etc. Thank you for your suggestions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest