Are all calories equal.

Watch
CokeAColaAddict
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Good afternoon,

So I am a Cola addict and I'm now on a diet, I am doing 1800 calories a day which is allowing me to lose 1-2 pounds per week currently and I just love my coke, If I have 1200 calories of coke cola a week and then cut out 1200 calories of the food from my 12600 calories weekly diet will this balance my weight and not gain? Or is 1200 calories of coke not the same as say 1200 calories of chicken, tomatoes, lettuce wraps for example?

Kind regards,

Cokeaddict.
Last edited by CokeAColaAddict; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Calories aren’t everything. Coke is full of sugar and other chemicals which can cause health issues if you have too much. Try and cut down on the coke, and eat a balanced diet. Calories are a unit of measurement, though your body needs more than just sugar (vitamins, minerals, iron, fibre, healthy fats etc)
CokeAColaAddict
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Calories aren’t everything. Coke is full of sugar and other chemicals which can cause health issues if you have too much. Try and cut down on the coke, and eat a balanced diet. Calories are a unit of measurement, though your body needs more than just sugar (vitamins, minerals, iron, fibre, healthy fats etc)
Thanks for your reply, I understand the negative part of the coke in regards to it's basically like toxic waste for my body. But when it's all said and done, if I drink 2 liters of coke on a weekend and then cut breakfast and dinner over the next few days to cover those calories so 1000 calories of coke and then cut 1000 calories in the coming day or 2 for dinner etc, will this balance out in regards to weight gain?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why not just have sugar-free coke?
CokeAColaAddict
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
Why not just have sugar-free coke?
it does not do it for me, it's the sugar rush I love.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
No, excessive sugar can cause type 2 diabetes over time which would hinder the weight loss. It’s better to eat healthier, so that you reach your goal of losing weight but also doing it in a healthy manner
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, excessive sugar can cause type 2 diabetes over time which would hinder the weight loss
Diabetes does not cause weight gain...
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorta putting the cart before the horse 0.o
sushieater37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And who told you this? It literally causes an increase of our bodies glycogen stores and a response to the overactive insulin production it makes sense for an individual to gain weight?
Sugar and weight gain go hand in hand no doubt about it.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sushieater37)
And who told you this? It literally causes an increase of our bodies glycogen stores and a response to the overactive insulin production it makes sense for an individual to gain weight?
Sugar and weight gain go hand in hand no doubt about it.
Look up the symptoms of diabetes.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
You do know that if a person has type 2 diabetes and isn’t aware (so it’s not controlled) the wait gain will continue
CokeAColaAddict
Rep:
?
But ignoring the negative aspects of coke and diabeties, will drinking 1000 calories of coke and then cutting 1000 calories to cover it over the next few days make sure the coke does not cause weight gain, regardless of cokes negative effects?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CokeAColaAddict)
But ignoring the negative aspects of coke and diabeties, will drinking 1000 calories of coke and then cutting 1000 calories to cover it over the next few days make sure the coke does not cause weight gain, regardless of cokes negative effects?
No. You may become deficient in other things.
CokeAColaAddict
Rep:
?
No. You may become deficient in other things.
Ok, thanks, damn now life is gonna suck!!!! you have been a good help and answered my question.
sushieater37
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Symptoms are not a one size fits all situation there’s some factors on that list not everyone will experience yet can develop diabetes. However unless it’s type 1, having type 2 has factors which will most likely influence weight gain. By looking at the symptoms/surface of the problem doesn’t mean sugar (specifically heightened levels with those with diabetes) has no influence on weight.

Type 1 or hypoglycaemia in type 2 can lead to weight loss but majority of the time it can’t be said diabetes does not lead to weight gain. They go hand in hand sugar being main culprit for both.
sushieater37
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You do know that if a person has type 2 diabetes and isn’t aware (so it’s not controlled) the wait gain will continue
Precisely! because what’s actually causing the diabetes is also most likely influencing the weight gain whether it be stress or diet or even glandular problems
Last edited by sushieater37; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CokeAColaAddict)
Ok, thanks, damn now life is gonna suck!!!! you have been a good help and answered my question.
You’re welcome, just try and gradually cut down on the coke, if you’re trying to lose weight and have it as a treat, it may be a good motivator to keep going? I wish you luck in the weight loss!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Precisely! because what’s actually causing the diabetes is also most likely influencing the weight gain whether it be stress or diet or even glandular problems
Then diabetes can lead to other complications such as diabetic retinopathy, lymphedema, and possibly amputation.
chlamydia9000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, a calorie is a calorie. As far as I know excessive internal fat causes diabetes rather than high carb consumption. I'd reduce the Coke though. I used to drink 3 litres per day of full sugar and ended up losing 14 teeth.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Symptoms are not a one size fits all situation there’s some factors on that list not everyone will experience yet can develop diabetes. However unless it’s type 1, having type 2 has factors which will most likely influence weight gain. By looking at the symptoms/surface of the problem doesn’t mean sugar (specifically heightened levels with those with diabetes) has no influence on weight.

Type 1 or hypoglycaemia in type 2 can lead to weight loss but majority of the time it can’t be said diabetes does not lead to weight gain. They go hand in hand sugar being main culprit for both.
Well obviously there is a connection between eating a lot of sugar and weight gain :rolleyes: And weight gain makes people more prone to developing type 2 diabetes, not the other way around. High insulin levels occur because people are resistant to the insulin being produced hence their bodies produce more, and if they are resistant to its effects, then its not going to have the same effect as it would in a healthy individual.

The weight gain will continue because of life style factors, not because of their type 2 diabetes. And eventually, they will lose weight once their body stops being able to provide enough insulin to meet their needs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (107)
27.58%
England (132)
34.02%
Belgium (30)
7.73%
Germany (41)
10.57%
Spain (8)
2.06%