History vs Computer Science GCSE choices

Watch
__Nacho__Cheese
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I used to be good at history but this year my school merged with another meaning we got new teachers and my history teacher has been TERRIBLE. Yet I chose it for GCSE over computer science. I still have an opportunity to change, so do you think I should? Because I have been told repeatedly that I would be a very good fit for computer science, but I'm not too sure if it would be better to take that or history, considering the fact that all I actually care about is a 9.
bugaboo02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
change!!!!!!!!! i took history gcse and i regretted every second, i went in loving history and started to despise it so much by literally the second week
It's so boring and the content is so so much, i've heard computer science is so much easier
if your teachers bad, that's a big disadvantage as your going to have to teach everything to yourself + it makes the subject so much dislikable
but all in all it's upto you, what do you think you are better at/ enjoyed more?
anonymous#192
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by __Nacho__Cheese)
So I used to be good at history but this year my school merged with another meaning we got new teachers and my history teacher has been TERRIBLE. Yet I chose it for GCSE over computer science. I still have an opportunity to change, so do you think I should? Because I have been told repeatedly that I would be a very good fit for computer science, but I'm not too sure if it would be better to take that or history, considering the fact that all I actually care about is a 9.
Do you know what you want to do in the future? It may be that you need history or computer science a level in which case you will have needed to have taken the gcse. If you don’t know what you want to do, which do you prefer? If you don’t like a subject you won’t do as well in it as you could. Also, do you know if the computer science teacher is a good teacher because if they are then it may be an easy choice to go with the better teacher, but if they aren’t the issue of the history teacher being bad doesn’t really matter as you’d have a bad teacher either way. I did history and loved the content but hated the exam technique side of it - I’ve always hated essay subjects. History is quite an easy subject, there’s just a lot to remember. I didn’t do computer science so I’m afraid I can’t tell you much about that though.
ix.flame.xi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do both of the subjects and I would probably recommend doing computer science. The course is way easier and the programming part of it is basically a joke - you can do the exam without coding the pre-release (I don't recommend it though and I am not sure about your exam - mine is cie); the information would also be more relevant to what is happening today. History is very interesting and I like it a lot, however, it is a pain and there is just so much content and contradictionary sources - you need to use multiple textbooks to make your revision worthwhile as well as extra reading and coursework on top of that (once again, may just be my exam board - cie) . Of course, this depends on what you plan to do in the future and what you actually enjoy. I personally enjoyed both subjects very much and I do not regret taking them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.92%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.42%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
24.02%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
11.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed