Katevbw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m a student starting to look for work part time at uni but I’m unfamiliar with what I need to do for tax.
I’m probably going to get a temporary job at a restaurant/cafe hospitality sector, but do I ask about tax before I get the job/after?
Do I need to do anything myself and it doesn’t involve my employer?
Is it dodgy if I get paid cash in hand?/how do I report tax if it is, etc.

Any help appreciated!
Sparker25
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don’t need to pay tax unless you earn over £12,000 a year which is very unusual if it’s only part time, especially with uni
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Katevbw)
I’m a student starting to look for work part time at uni but I’m unfamiliar with what I need to do for tax.
I’m probably going to get a temporary job at a restaurant/cafe hospitality sector, but do I ask about tax before I get the job/after?

Any help appreciated!
Most places pay into your bank (you get a payslip, they ask you for your national insurance number and bank details when you start).
You will not need to do anything about paying tax. If you earn under the tax threshold (I think it's around the £12,500 a year mark) then you will not earn enough to pay tax anyway.
Even if you will earn enough to pay tax (for example when you get a job after uni) then you won't need to do anything. Your employer will ask for your national insurance number and bank details when you start, they will give you a payslip every time you get paid etc. You will automatically get taxed so you won't need to go phoning anyone or doing anything.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Katevbw)

Any help appreciated!
If you get a job with a recognised company, like any high street retailer etc, then the system for income tax is called PAYE, Pay As You Earn. The default for this system is that basic rate tax is automatically taken from your salary every month. This is because the majority of jobs are permanent and full time and so need to pay national insurance and income taxes.

However, for students, the limited hours you do and the pay usually means that you will not earn more than the tax threshold, which is about £12,500 per year (it usually changes in the Budget) and so are not liable for income tax (there's an intermediate level for NI). So in this case - which you will see when you get your first pay slip, you can do one of two things - either ring HMRC straightaway, explain your situation and get your tax code changed for the next month, or wait until the end of the tax year (April) and get a lump sum tax rebate a few months later (the advantage of this is that you effectively 'save' them money for a few months, if you want to do that).

If you get a job that pays 'cash in hand' then yes, broadly speaking it is 'dodgy' in as much as the employer is avoiding all the additional taxes they have to pay for employing someone and you have no workplace protection (national insurance, sick pay, pension etc), and also you have to wonder what other rules they are dodging. of course if you are just washing cars, dog walking, baby sitting etc that's a slightly different situation.

Strictly speaking, if you are an HMRC officer, then you should be completing your own tax return at the end of the year, as a self-employed person. However, in reality, you are highly unlikely to meet the tax threshold, so it would just be a pointless admin process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (61)
29.61%
No (145)
70.39%

Watched Threads