Inert1a
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I'm about to graduate from a masters this Autumn. Will have two internships under my belt, one in a tech role working with traders to build trading tools, and another working in a quant team, both at the same IB.

Would these experiences give me a worthwhile chance S&T/markets full time grad roles? Both unis are for undergrad and masters are so called 'targets'.
Advertisement
sammu1999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I dont see why not. Although i'm not sure why you would go for S&T when you have a masters and a quant internship. S&T is dying in a traditional sense and is mostly automated.
BenRyan99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sammu1999)
Yes I dont see why not. Although i'm not sure why you would go for S&T when you have a masters and a quant internship. S&T is dying in a traditional sense and is mostly automated.
I agree with the above poster, I think you have a great shot at a FT S&T role. Did you not receive return offers from the places you interned at? I do also wonder why you're targeting S&T over quant or at least research? S&T is just market making at this point, having experienced it, it's not that fun, you're just getting yourself into bad trades to get some commission from HFs and AMers.
Inert1a
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I did the tech internship last summer, and managed to get the quant one this summer through my manager who had some contacts in that quant strat team. I got a return offer for tech starting this Autumn, but want to make a transition closer to a revenue generating position. As the quant internship isn't a formally structured one and the fact that I have already accepted a place on the grad tech scheme, I don't think I'll be able to directly transfer over immediately. It's probably more likely something that I could do 12-18 months down the line.
Last edited by Inert1a; 1 month ago
Inert1a
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by sammu1999)
(Original post by BenRyan99)
I agree with the above poster, I think you have a great shot at a FT S&T role. Did you not receive return offers from the places you interned at? I do also wonder why you're targeting S&T over quant or at least research? S&T is just market making at this point, having experienced it, it's not that fun, you're just getting yourself into bad trades to get some commission from HFs and AMers.
How would you guys approach applying for quant/S&T if already starting on a grad scheme on the tech side this Autumn? I know a lot of BBs hire through their internships but feels a little bit crazy to apply for internships when in a full time job. Buy-side is a lot more flexible.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads