MadsTSR
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm doing a resit for one of my A levels and was hoping to apply with my new grade for 2021 entry. Currently, I have a few uni offers since I applied to UCAS last year, but I don't really want to go to any of them.

But since there's a chance my grade might not improve from the resit, I was planning on firming an offer as a backup (which are all unconditional since I already have my grades) and then going into Adjustment (hopefully). Is this possible? Or since it's an unconditional offer, will I not be able to go into Adjustment later and instead be forced to go to the uni offer I firm?

I'm going to call UCAS up sometime this week but wanted to ask on here anyway. Thanks for any replies, it would mean a lot to me during this confusing and stressful time..
Last edited by MadsTSR; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can’t use adjustment if you have an unconditional firm choice.

You can always decline your place to put yourself into clearing.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What happens on Results Day :https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...el-results-day

Introduction to Clearing : https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...de-to-clearing
MadsTSR
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You can’t use adjustment if you have an unconditional firm choice.

You can always decline your place to put yourself into clearing.
Of course I get a good grade I'll be declining the offer, but I wasn't sure if it's possible to decline unconditional offers? (Well, at least not easily) I've heard people say that it's contractually binding compared to a conditional offer, to decline you have to ring them up before results day, it takes a week or so etc etc. Which would make things difficult for me as places in Adjustment could be long gone.
Last edited by MadsTSR; 1 month ago
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can ask the university for which you have an unconditional to "release" you. You then enter clearing. As someone else already said, you aren't/won't be eligible for adjustment if you hold an unconditional offer. Adjustment is for students that "met and exceed the conditions (grades) of their firm choice" and since an unconditional offer does not ask for grades, you obviously can't exceed these.
Last edited by Miss_mischy; 1 month ago
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MadsTSR)
I'm doing a resit for one of my A levels and was hoping to apply with my new grade for 2021 entry. Currently, I have a few uni offers since I applied to UCAS last year, but I don't really want to go to any of them.

But since there's a chance my grade might not improve from the resit, I was planning on firming an offer as a backup (which are all unconditional since I already have my grades) and then going into Adjustment (hopefully). Is this possible? Or since it's an unconditional offer, will I not be able to go into Adjustment later and instead be forced to go to the uni offer I firm?

I'm going to call UCAS up sometime this week but wanted to ask on here anyway. Thanks for any replies, it would mean a lot to me during this confusing and stressful time..
What do you mean by that? If you applied for 2020 entry previously, the offers you received then are void now (unless you firmed one for deferred entry). If you make a new application now for 2021 entry (it would be a late application since the January deadline passed) not all universities will have spaces left (but some do), your old application will also become void (no offers from last year will be available anymore).
Last edited by Miss_mischy; 1 month ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course I get a good grade I'll be declining the offer, but I wasn't sure if it's possible to decline unconditional offers? (Well, at least not easily) I've heard people say that it's contractually binding compared to a conditional offer, to decline you have to ring them up before results day, it takes a week or so etc etc. Which would make things difficult for me as places in Adjustment could be long gone.
From july you’ll have the option to “decline my place” on Track and place yourself into clearing if your firm is unconditional.
MadsTSR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
What do you mean by that? If you applied for 2020 entry previously, the offers you received then are void now (unless you firmed one for deferred entry). If you make a new application now for 2021 entry (it would be a late application since the January deadline passed) not all universities will have spaces left (but some do), your old application will also become void (no offers from last year will be available anymore).
Sorry for the confusion, I meant that I applied for UCAS this year with the grades I got last year.
MadsTSR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
You can ask the university for which you have an unconditional to "release" you. You then enter clearing. As someone else already said, you aren't/won't be eligible for adjustment if you hold an unconditional offer. Adjustment is for students that "met and exceed the conditions (grades) of their firm choice" and since an unconditional offer does not ask for grades, you obviously can't exceed these.
Thanks for explaining that. I’m just not sure how long the process would take and I’m worried that the good universities might be gone by the time they sort that out for me, but I need to firm a uni to put on my student finance.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for explaining that. I’m just not sure how long the process would take and I’m worried that the good universities might be gone by the time they sort that out for me, but I need to firm a uni to put on my student finance.
No you don’t.

You just need to make a guess on your student finance application about which university and course you’ll be studying. If you guess wrong then you can update your application in the summer easily

From July you can release yourself into clearing instantly if your firm choice is unconditional
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.39%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.01%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (58)
11.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.45%

Watched Threads