alicesb1234
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am planning on taking chemistry, physics and DT in september. im taking the DT as it is a subject i love and am really good at. In my future i am interested infood science/ engineering, these only require the physics and chemistfry. i am worried however, that i will be restricting my possible future careers by not doing maths, incase i want to go into other types of engineering. I want to still tyake my current subjects but i am unsure if i should take the maths too. My paernts both have science degrees and teach physics and said you can still do well in physics a level without the maths. If anyone has taken 4 a levels that are similar, can you give me some advice? thanks
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alicesb1234)
I am planning on taking chemistry, physics and DT in september. im taking the DT as it is a subject i love and am really good at. In my future i am interested infood science/ engineering, these only require the physics and chemistfry. i am worried however, that i will be restricting my possible future careers by not doing maths, incase i want to go into other types of engineering. I want to still tyake my current subjects but i am unsure if i should take the maths too. My paernts both have science degrees and teach physics and said you can still do well in physics a level without the maths. If anyone has taken 4 a levels that are similar, can you give me some advice? thanks
Hey

Typically, for all kinds of engineering, Universities require maths A-Level as an essential requirement, followed by physics.
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subject...and-technology

Saying that, some Universities may be more lenient depending on the course- maybe speak to any prospective Uni's admissions teams and they might be able to offer you some more clarity. Picking A-Level subjects can be hard when thinking about the next step after College/Sixth Form so I totally empathise with that

If you have any other questions, let me know!
Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep
musicalrose
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You defo need maths for engineering. Some unis also want further maths i think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.15%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.69%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads