The Student Room Group

A question of how life has turned out for you in your career

So, we all had dreams as a childf of being an astronaut or some such, these became a bit more realistic when we chose our Alevels and then post Uni we entered real life (well, for those who've left uni or started their careers - do state which stage of the ladder you're on)
So, what're the answers to each stage for you?

Child - Astronaut or a farmer, of all things :lol:
School - Lawyer
University - Banker then civil service in foreign/defence policy
What life has currently thrown at me - Currently a quasi-civil servant working as a regulator in the energy sector
What i'd prefer - Still aiming for foreign policy but developed a deep interest in mental health and addictions policy and whilst did a bit of work on it would really like to get back to it. Alas, theres few jobs going in that space :frown:
Child - don't remember anything in particular
School - Not a Doctor (lots in family)
University - Engineer for one term then switched to Physical Sciences
What life has currently thrown at me - IT became a thing and I was good at it. Motherhood and the associated glass ceiling kept me from climbing the ladder so I went part time for a while instead.

What I'd prefer - I'd like to be doing some sort of advisory role/mentoring around life skills but I can't afford to do it yet. Financial education / learning skills in school, adult financial education - basic stuff around budgeting, how bank accounts and credit cards work, how to avoid debt, planning for the future with pensions. Seems to be sadly lacking in knowledge in a significant proportion of the population. Will do something around this when I retire.
Reply 2
Child - vet, artist/writer
School - vet
University - artist
What life has currently thrown at me - my legal qualifications are useless to me bc i can't work. and i hated being a trainee solicitor anyway
What i'd prefer - to actually make money from my art
As a child, I wanted to be a paleontologist. Now, I'm a teacher.

There just aren't a lot of dinosaur-related jobs around. But it's STILL the coolest career out there.
Reply 4
Original post by Ciel.
Child - vet, artist/writer
School - vet
University - artist
What life has currently thrown at me - my legal qualifications are useless to me bc i can't work. and i hated being a trainee solicitor anyway
What i'd prefer - to actually make money from my art

You were a trainee solicitor? Interesting
Reply 5
Currently a university student.

Child - lawyer, thought that was the only job in existence because most of my immediate family have office jobs and hated maths so no pure engineering/banking career. Also my family have instilled into me since young that jobs are what 85% of life is made of :colonhash:

School - doctor, did not think that medicine was a viable choice for me till A-levels. Still think that I should have taken medicine to uni instead. Hate how there’s no fixed answers in law; really underestimated how much I hate and tolerate this subject. But I really need a job and can’t pay uni on my own without debt.

University - as long as I get a very decent-paying job where I don’t need to worry about income and money, I am and will always be extremely grateful.

What life has currently thrown at me - exam is in a week, and bear in mind I’ve had a history of 2:2s and failed essays :cry:

What I’d prefer - medicine (or dentistry as a stretch), even if I had to take it at a local university. Should have done that; law essays are confusing to complete at times. Or law with anthropology, idk. I like making a difference to people’s lives :h:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by wifd149
You were a trainee solicitor? Interesting

i don't even want to remember it... it was a disaster
Reply 7
Original post by Ciel.
i don't even want to remember it... it was a disaster

Ooo dear :s-smilie: Hopefully you’re in a better place. Btw, any where I can appreciate your art? Not really sure what medium you use. My priv message is always open if you like to keep it quiet or whatnot
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by wifd149
Ooo dear :s-smilie: Hopefully you’re in a better place. Btw, any where I can appreciate your art? Not really sure what medium you use. My priv message is always open if you like to keep it quiet or whatnot

thanks
i don't really like to share my art with people tho. it's not good enough yet
Reply 9
Original post by Ciel.
thanks
i don't really like to share my art with people tho. it's not good enough yet

No prob :h: Sure it’ll be great one day :colondollar:
Child - professional pokemon tcg player / breakdancer

School - video editor/pharmacist/geologist

University - accountant

What life has currently thrown at me - too much accounting stress goanna be civil servant

What I’d prefer - orange juice and KFC right now :yum:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest