Whats the point of getting admitted to LSE when you cant even afford 1/4th of the fee

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I gained a place in LSE for Msc Anthropology and Development recently ,a very interesting course I am super keen on studying. I applied solely because of the course content and how closely it aligns with my interest area.
But coming from a global south country, my total expense for the stay and course will come around 40,000 pounds. Meanwhile I have a saving of just 6000 pounds after 6 years of work. Like it would literally take 40 years for me to make a saving to afford 1 year study at LSE.
I could not get through the GSS scholarship as well. There are way less scholarship options available to cover entire expense and the competition for it is much more than getting into LSE.
Taking a loan is nowhere an option, as the maximum I can earn in my country is 300 pounds per month, I will be pushed on to streets if I take loan and have to cut down basic living expenses and will continue to repay my loans even after retirement.
This makes me wonder are these universities labeled elite because they are literally meant for the well offs and people like me are just being delusional aiming to study at a good university?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I get you, I can barely afford my tuition as well, sad to see all the wasted potential just because universities cater for the rich
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I’m 100% in the same boat. Rich kids in my country study from LSE and are considered so smart and get great jobs when they come back, and here I haven’t even told anyone that I’ve gotten in, because I can’t afford to go there anyway
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m 100% in the same boat. Rich kids in my country study from LSE and are considered so smart and get great jobs when they come back, and here I haven’t even told anyone that I’ve gotten in, because I can’t afford to go there anyway
Oh yeah...even I haven't told anybody...people would laugh at me for even aspiring to study there ...I have been mocked by rich people , telling me that I don't have the intellect to be there...but what they might have been trying to tell me was I am not rich enough to be there ..huh!
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
Would you be able to apply for fellowship/scholarship schemes for the next admission cycle? Of course the competition will be even more fierce than the admission to LSE, but if you make it, those schemes will probably be able to cover your tuition fees and part, if not all, of your living costs. And Oxbridge seems to offer many more country-specific scholarships, you may wish to give it a try if graduate school is still something you wish to pursue.

Even coming from a developed region, I too had to work a few years in order to save up enough for the tuition fees. The cost for a postgraduate degree is insane. But you should be proud of yourself for getting admitted, despite everything.
Anonymous #5
Report 4 weeks ago
Why should you, a foreigner, be entitled to subsidised postgraduate education in a country you do not pay tax in?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is best not to apply for a place at an overseas uni that has high fees unless you already have guaranteed access to a source of full funding that amply covers the full costs of all course tuition fees, accomodation and basic living expenses.
Whether the source of funding is: corporate sponsorship, family financial support, personal savings, student loans or a scholarship.
This is why I haven't applied for any postgrad courses at academic institutions in the usa, singapore or switzerland.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why should you, a foreigner, be entitled to subsidised postgraduate education in a country you do not pay tax in?
I agree with much of your post.
But OP is not an entitled international student demanding that access to subsidised funding for his uni education be provided by the British taxpayer.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Would you be able to apply for fellowship/scholarship schemes for the next admission cycle? Of course the competition will be even more fierce than the admission to LSE, but if you make it, those schemes will probably be able to cover your tuition fees and part, if not all, of your living costs. And Oxbridge seems to offer many more country-specific scholarships, you may wish to give it a try if graduate school is still something you wish to pursue.

Even coming from a developed region, I too had to work a few years in order to save up enough for the tuition fees. The cost for a postgraduate degree is insane. But you should be proud of yourself for getting admitted, despite everything.
yeah can try ...but hardly any chances of clearing..
working and saving up for 4-5 years to go to graduate school or repaying loans in like 4-5 years would be okay...but if your entire lifetime's earning is not going to be enough to pay for an year's study ..well that's insane
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
giving subsidized education to commonwealth graduates would be bare minimum support
Anonymous #5
Report 4 weeks ago
giving subsidized education to commonwealth graduates would be bare minimum support
Hah.

8/10 for effort.
Spelunker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hah.

8/10 for effort.
Anonymous #5
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Spelunker)
I too enjoy false equivalences.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Guess who started it?
The point of the post was not tax payers money, it is be it any country, do universities need to charge exorbitant fee when you select people purely for merit. What if someone has merit but not the money, even if it is a British tax paying citizen? So only somebody's financial situation decide if they can excel in their field? It would lead to only the rich and elite conquering academic / research spaces or positions of power where they can gain easy access with their education and degree. And rest of us even if we are at par with them or maybe better than them remains inferior to them or stay in lower positions because we didn't have the money to get that degree.
I have had a dumb colleague with a foreign degree being treated so well and given more responsibility and opportunities in my organization because her degree had more value than mine , which she was able to secure because her parents were rich. I know I cant do much about it but it kind of felt unfair.
EU Yakov
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I gained a place in LSE for Msc Anthropology and Development recently ,a very interesting course I am super keen on studying. I applied solely because of the course content and how closely it aligns with my interest area.
But coming from a global south country, my total expense for the stay and course will come around 40,000 pounds. Meanwhile I have a saving of just 6000 pounds after 6 years of work. Like it would literally take 40 years for me to make a saving to afford 1 year study at LSE.
I could not get through the GSS scholarship as well. There are way less scholarship options available to cover entire expense and the competition for it is much more than getting into LSE.
Taking a loan is nowhere an option, as the maximum I can earn in my country is 300 pounds per month, I will be pushed on to streets if I take loan and have to cut down basic living expenses and will continue to repay my loans even after retirement.
This makes me wonder are these universities labeled elite because they are literally meant for the well offs and people like me are just being delusional aiming to study at a good university?
masters are optional. british unis have tuition loans for undergrads so that people can afford to study at any uni they want to. also british look out for their own first. they dont have a responsibility for the entire global south.
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Guess who started it?
The point of the post was not tax payers money, it is be it any country, do universities need to charge exorbitant fee when you select people purely for merit. What if someone has merit but not the money, even if it is a British tax paying citizen? So only somebody's financial situation decide if they can excel in their field? It would lead to only the rich and elite conquering academic / research spaces or positions of power where they can gain easy access with their education and degree. And rest of us even if we are at par with them or maybe better than them remains inferior to them or stay in lower positions because we didn't have the money to get that degree.
I have had a dumb colleague with a foreign degree being treated so well and given more responsibility and opportunities in my organization because her degree had more value than mine , which she was able to secure because her parents were rich. I know I cant do much about it but it kind of felt unfair.
mate they dont have the money to pay scholarships to every tom **** and harry earning £1 a day. this "merit" chat is old. unis need to take care of their finances just like any other institution. also unis aren't responsible for fixing your snobby employer lol.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by EU Yakov)
mate they dont have the money to pay scholarships to every tom **** and harry earning £1 a day. this "merit" chat is old. unis need to take care of their finances just like any other institution. also unis aren't responsible for fixing your snobby employer lol.
Yup, thanks for letting me know. That's exactly what I wanted know in the first place. Indigent people like me are just delusional.
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yup, thanks for letting me know. That's exactly what I wanted know in the first place. Indigent people like me are just delusional.
be less angry at uk unis and more angry at your employer. no reasonable person would think that an msc in anthropology is the only measure of someone's worth.
also yeah, you sound pretty delusional and entitled. how about british students start cramming into your unis and demand you pay for it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by EU Yakov)
be less angry at uk unis and more angry at your employer. no reasonable person would think that an msc in anthropology is the only measure of someone's worth.
also yeah, you sound pretty delusional and entitled. how about british students start cramming into your unis and demand you pay for it.
Chuck it , it was just a general discussion on merit vs financial situation . I get your point. I am not angry at anyone. I am going to let go of an opportunity which would give me a new insight into my field of interest and opportunity to reach a wider network and learn more. I didn't really think of British tax payers money or snatching away a British students opportunity , finances etc initially when I applied. Which I realize now are more practical issues which I should have also considered more seriously.
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Chuck it , it was just a general discussion on merit vs financial situation . I get your point. I am not angry at anyone. I am going to let go of an opportunity which would give me a new insight into my field of interest and opportunity to reach a wider network and learn more. I didn't really think of British tax payers money or snatching away a British students opportunity , finances etc initially when I applied. Which I realize now are more practical issues which I should have also considered more seriously.
you didnt think of funding when applying to an expensive uni full of rich kids from asia... ok
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (45)
28.48%
No (113)
71.52%

Watched Threads