Is it too late to change my insurance choice?

Watch
S.Em22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay, bit of an issue - kinda. I had all my uni offers back a few months ago & chose my firm & insurance choices a few months ago (around February time I think). I'm really happy with my firm choice uni & really want to go there. I can't picture myself anywhere else. Because of this, I want my insurance choice to be a similar course at the same uni rather than the course currently listed as my insurance. I've found a similar course at the uni which I really like and it has slightly lower grade boundaries (wanting mostly Bs instead of mostly As). The course I've put as my firm is History BA at the Uni of Southampton and the similar course I really like is History & Film BA at Southampton (a lot of the modules are shared which is even better).

Problem is, I replied to UCAS more than 14 days ago which they say is the deadline on their website and I never applied for the History & Film course in the first place. What should I/can I do?

Given that I'm happy with my firm choice, is it worth just waiting until results & seeing how it goes? I'm only really concerned because I've already applied for uni-provided accommodation.
AHKS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can't make an application to the new course at Southampton unless you reject all 5 of your choices and start again. If I was you I would work as hard as possible to get the grades for the first choice but if I miss them call on results day and ask if they would consider you for the alternative course if they won't drop the offer on your first choice.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would email Admissions at Southampton and explain that if you fail to get onto the History BA course you would like to be considered for their History and Film course as an alternative. It's not unheard of for unis to offer people alternative courses on results day if they have lower grades than required for a more competitive course, so it would be helpful for them to know that you are also interested in this combined course.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Contact Southampton and ask if a course-switch is possible - do it asap, as final offers are now being made.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by S.Em22)
Okay, bit of an issue - kinda. I had all my uni offers back a few months ago & chose my firm & insurance choices a few months ago (around February time I think). I'm really happy with my firm choice uni & really want to go there. I can't picture myself anywhere else. Because of this, I want my insurance choice to be a similar course at the same uni rather than the course currently listed as my insurance. I've found a similar course at the uni which I really like and it has slightly lower grade boundaries (wanting mostly Bs instead of mostly As). The course I've put as my firm is History BA at the Uni of Southampton and the similar course I really like is History & Film BA at Southampton (a lot of the modules are shared which is even better).

Problem is, I replied to UCAS more than 14 days ago which they say is the deadline on their website and I never applied for the History & Film course in the first place. What should I/can I do?

Given that I'm happy with my firm choice, is it worth just waiting until results & seeing how it goes? I'm only really concerned because I've already applied for uni-provided accommodation.
Hello S.Em22!

Unfortunately you won't be able to swap your insurance choice if it is past the 14 days. In the absolute worst case scenario, if you don't get into your firmed university and course, you could reject your insurance choice and apply for the BA History & Film degree through clearing, which opens as early as July right up until September, depending on course popularity and spaces.

You would need to have rejected all your offers or not be accepted by your first choice and then proceed to reject your insurance offer to apply through clearing. Most people apply during or just after results day in August so you have ample time.

You could also contact the university admissions team on: [email protected] and +44 (0)23 8059 9339, which is the Humanities enquiries line for admissions.

To summarise, yes it is too late to change your insurance choice (past the 14 days). However, there are still good viable options for you which would allow you to get into your dream university and course.

Wishing you all the best and try not to worry too much.

~ Sarah, 2nd-year Sociology with Anthropology student
Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 4 weeks ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hello S.Em22!

Unfortunately you won't be able to swap your insurance choice if it is past the 14 days. In the absolute worst case scenario, if you don't get into your firmed university and course, you could reject your insurance choice and apply for the BA History & Film degree through clearing, which opens as early as July right up until September, depending on course popularity and spaces.

You would need to have rejected all your offers or not be accepted by your first choice and then proceed to reject your insurance offer to apply through clearing. Most people apply during or just after results day in August so you have ample time.

You could also contact the university admissions team on: [email protected] and +44 (0)23 8059 9339, which is the Humanities enquiries line.

Wishing you all the best and try not to worry too much.

~ Sarah, 2nd-year Sociology with Anthropology student
It’s perfectly possible (and common) for applicants to change their replies after 14 days as long as all the universities concerned agree to the swap.

There’s no need for the OP to use clearing
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hello S.Em22!

Unfortunately you won't be able to swap your insurance choice if it is past the 14 days.
Incorrect - UCAS will usually facilitate simple Firm / Insurance switches whenever/wherever its possible and both the Universities agree - and sometimes even more complicated manoeuvres.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads