I may be getting kicked out of sixth form due to attendance.

Watch
monshmosh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, my school has been threatening to kick me out since the start of this year due to poor attendance. This is Ken thing I’ve always struggled with and received no support from the school for, I’ve attended this school since Year 7 and had all my CAHMS referrals done by them. For some reason, they believe that due to the fact support from them is done, all my mental problems are solved and I now have no real reason to not be in school. I have gotten panic attacks in lesson everyday for the past 3 years and skip class regularly to sit in the bathrooms until it is over. Unfortunately my teachers expect a lot from me and are all very disappointed with how I am doing in school. I’ve recently began having issues with my general health, and find walking very difficult. Getting to school is incredibly mentally and physically taxing, and having to stay there is even worse.
I am waiting on an appointment with the GP and a psychiatrist to get a full medical record as ‘reason’ and proof however that may take as long as June, and the school are not willing to wait or compromise in any way until then. I have asked to be a remote student, since that is now more accessible than ever due to coronavirus, but they denied that and have offered no further options.

If it comes to that, I have a lot of options I can do without a full qualification. I am 17, but I’m not sure how this affects future prospects, like uni and jobs. Will I be chased to be in education until I am 18? Would I be able to get a job until then, and if so, is there an hour requirement for it to a viable option instead of school? I’m very lost at the minute and there is no one I can to in school. Thank you
nnth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by monshmosh)
Hi, my school has been threatening to kick me out since the start of this year due to poor attendance. This is Ken thing I’ve always struggled with and received no support from the school for, I’ve attended this school since Year 7 and had all my CAHMS referrals done by them. For some reason, they believe that due to the fact support from them is done, all my mental problems are solved and I now have no real reason to not be in school. I have gotten panic attacks in lesson everyday for the past 3 years and skip class regularly to sit in the bathrooms until it is over. Unfortunately my teachers expect a lot from me and are all very disappointed with how I am doing in school. I’ve recently began having issues with my general health, and find walking very difficult. Getting to school is incredibly mentally and physically taxing, and having to stay there is even worse.
I am waiting on an appointment with the GP and a psychiatrist to get a full medical record as ‘reason’ and proof however that may take as long as June, and the school are not willing to wait or compromise in any way until then. I have asked to be a remote student, since that is now more accessible than ever due to coronavirus, but they denied that and have offered no further options.

If it comes to that, I have a lot of options I can do without a full qualification. I am 17, but I’m not sure how this affects future prospects, like uni and jobs. Will I be chased to be in education until I am 18? Would I be able to get a job until then, and if so, is there an hour requirement for it to a viable option instead of school? I’m very lost at the minute and there is no one I can to in school. Thank you
Your school sounds like they're truly are neglecting you and aren't fulfilling their duty as education providers. One of the options you could choose, if it becomes necessary, over the next year would be to do an apprenticeship. It depends what field you want to go into, however, like you said, the coronavirus has made many more things digital than they previously were. So, I bet you'll be able to find a virtual apprenticeship which you can attend from home which may possibly have a good salary.

The other option is the Open University. I'm not sure if you can start attending it when you're 17, however I do know that their courses are part-time. So, they wouldn't feel as stressful as sixth-form currently does, and you'll be able to attend the lectures from home.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Having had a quick read through the legislation https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ulation/8/made I don't think they have the grounds to exclude you.
monshmosh
Rep:
?
(Original post by nnth)
Your school sounds like they're truly are neglecting you and aren't fulfilling their duty as education providers. One of the options you could choose, if it becomes necessary, over the next year would be to do an apprenticeship. It depends what field you want to go into, however, like you said, the coronavirus has made many more things digital than they previously were. So, I bet you'll be able to find a virtual apprenticeship which you can attend from home which may possibly have a good salary.

The other option is the Open University. I'm not sure if you can start attending it when you're 17, however I do know that their courses are part-time. So, they wouldn't feel as stressful as sixth-form currently does, and you'll be able to attend the lectures from home.
My mother is still trying to sort things out with them, trying to reason that it is unfair that I should be expected to perform above the average student with no support.
Unfortunately it may soon come to that as we are all out of options. I will look into the Open University though, thank you
monshmosh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Having had a quick read through the legislation https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ulation/8/made I don't think they have the grounds to exclude you.
It may be just one of the empty threats they’ve given me but my attendance has dropped below 70% and I haven’t been for around 2 weeks, since the start of term and a bit before that. Their reasoning in a message was that if I am not in for 20 days they will have to ‘take me off role’. I have received threats that they will kick me out for ‘poor behaviour’ in the past, which was failing to attend a detention for a homework I submitted late due to me not being in for one day that week where the homework was set, so I very much assume that holds very little legal weight... I will have a full read of that link, thank you
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by monshmosh)

If they kick u out then they are awful and evil. U clearly have mental health issues like anxiety and I hope you can be supported
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (109)
27.66%
England (135)
34.26%
Belgium (30)
7.61%
Germany (41)
10.41%
Spain (8)
2.03%