DoctorOx94
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, i am picking my rotations for GP training. I have not done A&E, paeds, obs and gynae or psych in f1/2 sadly.
I have seen the rotations and sadly there is no option to do A&E, obs and gynae AND paeds as part of my rotations, some have two of the three though. So just wondering of those 3, if you could rank from most to least useful what would it be? I think i would be interested in GP with special interest in obs/gynae but I don't really want to be on the labour ward for 4 months....
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DoctorOx94)
Hello, i am picking my rotations for GP training. I have not done A&E, paeds, obs and gynae or psych in f1/2 sadly.
I have seen the rotations and sadly there is no option to do A&E, obs and gynae AND paeds as part of my rotations, some have two of the three though. So just wondering of those 3, if you could rank from most to least useful what would it be? I think i would be interested in GP with special interest in obs/gynae but I don't really want to be on the labour ward for 4 months....
Would the A&E job include time in paeds A&E? If so, I would choose O&G in preference to paeds as you'll hopefully see enough kids during your time in A&E.

If not, I would have a think about what you consider your weaker area to be. GPs see a lot of O&G so it's helpful to spend a few months hopefully going to gynae OPD and doing lots of examinations, but kids crop up frequently in GP too of course. The benefit of a paeds job is learning to differentiate between unwell children who can be managed at home vs those who need to be admitted. That is the hope anyway - it's difficult to predict exactly how helpful a job is in practice because that specific department might just give you lots of time on neonates instead.

Do you know any of the current GPSTs in any of those departments? Might be worth asking them what the job is actually like?
girl_in_black
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have worked in GP, A&E, paeds, and psych. I personally would say paeds and obs and gynae are the most helpful, followed by psych and then A&E.

Paeds is the most useful as I think it is the best way to learn to interact with kids and to learn to recognise sick ones, as well as to learn to manage common non-acute issues (my paeds rotation included clinics, which was great). If you are female, you will get lots of gynae stuff in GP and being confident in doing speculums really helps (it is something you will get to practice in GP, but not with somebody supervising you and I still wasn't confident in doing them by the end of my GP rotation). Psych is very useful for learning to recognise the difference between an acute mental illness and PD crisis, and also managing risk. A&E I found the least useful, but I know a lot of people would disagree. I really hated the environment, the rota, and pretty much everything about it. Learnt to suture and to manage some types of fractures but realistically, when are you going to be doing either of those in GP?
Last edited by girl_in_black; 1 month ago
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not a GP trainee, but I'd personally think out of those three, A+E would be the least "useful".
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I'm a GP Trainee and have done O&G and A&E. I learned so much in A&E and found it was one of my favourite hospital posts. Really useful for GP training and if you're in a good hospital, as a GP trainee you should get lots of experience in minors. I never sutured once in my time there luckily.

O&G is useful in theory, but you will spend a lot of time on labour ward. The gynae part is quite useful (when not in theatre) but to be honest, you could learn a lot of what you need to know by revising for the DRCOG or just reading it up. You should still get some experience of gynae emergencies in A&E.

I'd rank it:

A&E
Paeds
Psych
O&H
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.96%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.46%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
24.12%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
11.84%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed