The Student Room Group

nursing degree alternatives

i really wanna do a nursing degree but i just don’t think i would cope as a nurse because i hate blood tests etc

i’m really struggling like please help me i have done so much research in degrees / careers but i just don’t know what to do

i want to do something in health or social care. what degree is good for this?
You should take some time to research, there’s no point in spending £1000’s on a degree if you won’t use it or don’t enjoy the profession. You can always take a gap year for more time? The ability to deal with needles and blood is vital in a nursing degree
Is it a fear of blood or a fear of having blood tests done on yourself? I have a fear of needles if they’re given to me but don’t have the same fear of giving one to another person.

There’s lots of other types of healthcare jobs too, many which might only have minimal blood etc. I imagine diagnostic radiography or stuff like prosthetics only involves minimal amounts of blood.

Have you looked in to being a social worker? doesn’t involve the clinical side of things but I imagine it can be just as rewarding. There’s a ton of different areas you can work in too. I think you do placements alongside your theory.

Or a generic health and social work degree which could keep your options really open to work more in the policy type side of healthcare?
Reply 3
It’s hard to avoid blood when working in a clinical environment tbh... as others have suggested, social work may be more appropriate, similarly there are roles such as occupational therapy, speech and language therapy etc which may be worth a look at as well - you make a huge impact on people’s lives and wellbeing in these roles :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest