What does life and progression feel like to you?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This question has been sitting with me for a few days, while I have been getting my arm twisted by my parents to sort myself out.

I have always found the process of settling on a career path and taking the steps toward adulthood horrible. I know most people do but, for you, how bad is it?

I was sat down yesterday and told I had 24 hours to figure my life out or I'd start having my belongings taken off me: laptop, phone, Nintendo Switch, etc. Since then, I've been trying to decide on a course to take at college and where that should take me in the long term. Ultimately though, it gets me so down. The more I sift through it all, the more I'd prefer to (in PG terms) disappear. Considering my future to any extent is just so miserable.

Like, I don't know whether I am just being a brat but I can't say I feel any joy in being alive. I tune out by using online escapism between my work shifts. If I had no escapism, I'd do nothing but go to work and sleep.

It's not like I've ever felt very good, I was with CAMHS from the age of 7 until I was discharged at 16, and I never received a successful adult referral despite my efforts. I feel like my parents have never appreciated the extent of my issues and, even with later therapists, I've been accused of using their services wrong because they didn't fix me.

I am very tired. Guess I wanted to see whether I am being a burden through my own actions or inaction, or if my feelings aren't normal.

Appreciate any responses.
BigShaq6969
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This question has been sitting with me for a few days, while I have been getting my arm twisted by my parents to sort myself out.

I have always found the process of settling on a career path and taking the steps toward adulthood horrible. I know most people do but, for you, how bad is it?

I was sat down yesterday and told I had 24 hours to figure my life out or I'd start having my belongings taken off me: laptop, phone, Nintendo Switch, etc. Since then, I've been trying to decide on a course to take at college and where that should take me in the long term. Ultimately though, it gets me so down. The more I sift through it all, the more I'd prefer to (in PG terms) disappear. Considering my future to any extent is just so miserable.

Like, I don't know whether I am just being a brat but I can't say I feel any joy in being alive. I tune out by using online escapism between my work shifts. If I had no escapism, I'd do nothing but go to work and sleep.

It's not like I've ever felt very good, I was with CAMHS from the age of 7 until I was discharged at 16, and I never received a successful adult referral despite my efforts. I feel like my parents have never appreciated the extent of my issues and, even with later therapists, I've been accused of using their services wrong because they didn't fix me.

I am very tired. Guess I wanted to see whether I am being a burden through my own actions or inaction, or if my feelings aren't normal.

Appreciate any responses.
You are never a burden.
Tbh I've struggled myself with knowing what career I want to pursue.
Just try your hardest to succeed but do not stress if you do not attain exceptional grades, perhaps Uni is not for you. It is not essential to go to Uni and succeed in life.
Perhaps if you love playing games, you may become a YouTuber (and over time you could become extremely successful at it).
I hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
BigShaq6969.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BigShaq6969)
You are never a burden.
Tbh I've struggled myself with knowing what career I want to pursue.
Just try your hardest to succeed but do not stress if you do not attain exceptional grades, perhaps Uni is not for you. It is not essential to go to Uni and succeed in life.
Perhaps if you love playing games, you may become a YouTuber (and over time you could become extremely successful at it).
I hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
BigShaq6969.
It seems as though your mental health has treated you unjustly (just like for me).
I struggle with mental illnesses and life can be difficult.
However, just try your best, try co-operating and seeking to attain success throughout your life.
Just try and do things that make you happy, regardless of what other people think.
In the end, we shall all wither away (it is not worth fretting about what others think of you).
I am so proud you have not ended your life with your mental health problems.
I hope this helps,
Best Wishes...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed