The Student Room Group

GCSE's to A-Levels

Im still unsure about what i want to do after my GCSE's, study wise, i know i want to stay in school for a-level but my school is very selsctive in sixth-form and i fear I may not get back in, as they require the sum of all top 8 subjects to be above 56 (so basically 6's and 7's). I really dislike maths, mainly because of the teachers ive had, but I would love to do something to do with med at uni. I am not the greatest student and my initial options for A-Level were 1)Bio 2)Chem 3)Pshch and Maths as a reserve, I put maths really out of neccesity but i hope i never have to touch that subject after my exams. My grades for subjects are (from high to low) Geog-9 Physics-8 RS-8 Biology-7 Chemistry-6 German-6 Drama-6 DT-6 Maths and Eng-5. To be honest, I really hate maths mainly due to my teachers over the years, and due to me being in the bottom set from years 7-11 and getting the worst pick of teachrs, but that'll have to do. The problem is I didn't apply to any other sixth forms and its probably too late to do so now. Any Advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Rob129
Im still unsure about what i want to do after my GCSE's, study wise, i know i want to stay in school for a-level but my school is very selsctive in sixth-form and i fear I may not get back in, as they require the sum of all top 8 subjects to be above 56 (so basically 6's and 7's). I really dislike maths, mainly because of the teachers ive had, but I would love to do something to do with med at uni. I am not the greatest student and my initial options for A-Level were 1)Bio 2)Chem 3)Pshch and Maths as a reserve, I put maths really out of neccesity but i hope i never have to touch that subject after my exams. My grades for subjects are (from high to low) Geog-9 Physics-8 RS-8 Biology-7 Chemistry-6 German-6 Drama-6 DT-6 Maths and Eng-5. To be honest, I really hate maths mainly due to my teachers over the years, and due to me being in the bottom set from years 7-11 and getting the worst pick of teachrs, but that'll have to do. The problem is I didn't apply to any other sixth forms and its probably too late to do so now. Any Advice?

you won't need to do maths a level to get into medicine or related courses, bio and chem is the requirement, but you will need a grade 7 in gcse bio and chem, and either grade 6 or 7 (depends on the school) in maths to do those a levels.

does your school only take into account total score or also individual subject grades based on a level choices?

it seems like you are good at geog - have you considered doing it for a level if you enjoy it?

fyi - some schools let you turn up on gcse results day and can offer you a place for sixth form (but check the minimum requirements first!)
Reply 2
Original post by Simran22
you won't need to do maths a level to get into medicine or related courses, bio and chem is the requirement, but you will need a grade 7 in gcse bio and chem, and either grade 6 or 7 (depends on the school) in maths to do those a levels.

does your school only take into account total score or also individual subject grades based on a level choices?

it seems like you are good at geog - have you considered doing it for a level if you enjoy it?

fyi - some schools let you turn up on gcse results day and can offer you a place for sixth form (but check the minimum requirements first!)

I have considered geography, but seeing as they have already made us pick our options, i doubt there will be any space in the course seeing as i didnt 'reserve' a spot. I'd like to know more about maybe going to another school with my results, and am thinking of going to my brothers school, but I don't exactly know the process of applying on results day. Do i go to the school? E-mail them? (I have emailed them before and they told me that i can come on results day but I don't know if i go to the school or what?) If you know anything further, please let me know.
Reply 3
Original post by Rob129
I have considered geography, but seeing as they have already made us pick our options, i doubt there will be any space in the course seeing as i didnt 'reserve' a spot. I'd like to know more about maybe going to another school with my results, and am thinking of going to my brothers school, but I don't exactly know the process of applying on results day. Do i go to the school? E-mail them? (I have emailed them before and they told me that i can come on results day but I don't know if i go to the school or what?) If you know anything further, please let me know.

from what I know, you just show up with your results and if they have places available they might accept you, so have a few schools in mind. also you could choose geography then as they will not know your previous options, but by that point you need to know what you want to do.

usually schools allow you to change your options any time until october of y12, if there is space - so maybe ask your school just in case?

btw - are these results confirmed or will you find out in august?

Quick Reply

Latest