The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think the consensus is that's it's intellectually simple as everything is spoonfed to you; but it's very time-consuming due to the sheer amount of material that needs to be covered.
Reply 2
I am doing it now and I have not really found anything difficult so far. As TommehR says, it is very spoon fed. For everything we do we get a model answer and (where I am anyway) you can take all of these into the open book exams. It is a different way of thinking to a law degree (and therefore I assume GDL) in that of course you are not encouraged to challenge anything or really look too deeply into anything - it's all just about following the procedure.

There is a lot of work to get through but if you are reasonably intelligent it doesn't take that long. I have 2 full days and 2 mornings at uni, I work the other full day and the two afternoons and I manage to get everything done without any problems.
Reply 3
But is it hard?!
Reply 4
smackcabin
But is it hard?!

NO! See above.

It has something like a 97% pass rate. It is like being back at school. No real thought required whatsoever. You are told how to do something. You have a go at doing it. You are given a model answer showing you how you should have done it. Repeat x 1000.

There are many reasons to be dubious about doing the LPC, not having a TC being chief among them. But difficulty should not be one.
smackcabin
I've just finished the GDL and I'm not sure about doing the LPC. Can anyone that has done it tell me: is the LPC difficult?

A solicitor told me the hard part is after the LPC, but tbh is it academics or time requirement that makes it hard? :s-smilie: I
emmings
There are many reasons to be dubious about doing the LPC, not having a TC being chief among them.

What do you mean?
Reply 7
Lord Hysteria
What do you mean?

I meant that not having a TC would be one good reason to be wary of doing the LPC. It's an awful lot of money to self-fund without a definite job lined up, though a lot of people I've met seem to be funded by the Bank of Mum and Dad.

And it IS so boring. From chatting to other people on the course, those of us with TCs are just kind of seeing it as a means to an end. You can get through because you have something to look forward to at the end. But one girl I know without a TC said that you kind of feel like you're putting yourself through all this pain for nothing.
emmings
I meant that not having a TC would be one good reason to be wary of doing the LPC. It's an awful lot of money to self-fund without a definite job lined up, though a lot of people I've met seem to be funded by the Bank of Mum and Dad.

And it IS so boring. From chatting to other people on the course, those of us with TCs are just kind of seeing it as a means to an end. You can get through because you have something to look forward to at the end. But one girl I know without a TC said that you kind of feel like you're putting yourself through all this pain for nothing.

Oh dear.
The only bank I have is the high-street ones :s-smilie:
It must be such a nightmare knowing you are investing so much money in somehting that might or might not come to fruition.
Reply 9
Lord Hysteria
Oh dear.
The only bank I have is the high-street ones :s-smilie:
It must be such a nightmare knowing you are investing so much money in somehting that might or might not come to fruition.

It must be. Having said that the careers support seems pretty good, here at least. You want to go to the bar though right? Seems to be much more accepted that it's ok to do the BVC without having pupillage lined up, because of the rarity of getting one while still at uni. Plus there are the Inn scholarships to help out if there is no bank of mum and dad!
emmings

It's a risk worth taking though and sometimes you have to take risks if you want any chance of success. It's looking ever more likely that I'll be going into the LPC on the back of a bank loan but I figure, what's the worst that can happen? I fail to get a job immediately and I go bankrupt. I can live with that. I'm confident that won't happen though. And if it is as boring as people make out, at least the prospect of bailiffs coming around, gives me a hell of an incentive to work hard and get that job!
Reply 11
Hi, guys, ive just joined this site...and ive been reading through ur messages...again im another one also confused in doing a LPC course...as first of all ive heard its absolutley hard and u get loadsa worksheets and assignments to go through to prepare for the next day. Also the fact that it costs alot and you have difficulties finding funding for your course...yes there's the banks and that but i mean other than the banks, the bursary, or even a training contract if you's lucky enuf.....

but "what other means are there for funding an LPC course"?

Has anyone completed there LPC course at northumbria university...if yes i would appreciate some update on whats it like. as if...and i mean if...i go on to do lpc i would be applying there as a part timer.

I would surely like someone who has completed there LPC or even studying it now...to update me on what the exams are like...i mean do u get like past papers to go through as revision? and revision sessions and that.

Thanks everyone who replies in advance.
azzy
unique1881
first of all ive heard its absolutley hard and u get loadsa worksheets and assignments to go through to prepare for the next day. Also the fact that it costs alot and you have difficulties finding funding for your course...yes there's the banks and that but i mean other than the banks, the bursary, or even a training contract if you's lucky enuf.....

but "what other means are there for funding an LPC course"?

Quite a few people have commented in this thread that the LPC isn't that difficult but even if it is, if being a solicitor is what you really want to do, then it's something you will just have to accept. Life is going to be hard anyway, whatever career path you choose, so the sooner you get to grips with tackling hard things; the better your life will be. Like they say, there's no flavour where there's no labour. What's the point of a ribbon if you haven't run the race? so hard work is where it is at, it is the pre-requisite to success. (Not quite my own words but I agree with the sentiment.)

It's an expensive course but like I say, if being a solicitor is what you really want, are you really going to let that stop you? You've pretty much covered the means of funding for an LPC course. You have the choice of getting a Law firm to sponsor you, getting a loan from the bank or getting a bursary from the Law Society or some other scholarship. There is no other way unless you're from a rich family or you work full time and save the money yourself.
yea!!! Go libertine861!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending