The Student Room Group

Do you believe in "aliens" ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think mathematically there must be but the sheer distance and haxards of space to biological life means it is very unlikely we would meet them. It would be sad to think we were the only life in the universe self concious enough to recognize there is a universe. Robots however could self replicate and travel endlessly maybe the could carry our Civilization to the aliens?!
Original post by Tosh8
I think mathematically there must be but the sheer distance and haxards of space to biological life means it is very unlikely we would meet them. It would be sad to think we were the only life in the universe self concious enough to recognize there is a universe. Robots however could self replicate and travel endlessly maybe the could carry our Civilization to the aliens?!

Europa, Titan, Mars.
Reply 22
Yes, life arising one one planet in the universe is infinitesimally small but I don't believe we have had them visit our planet sadly.
Ofc, i mean

Spoiler

Original post by Bio 7
Yes, life arising one one planet in the universe is infinitesimally small but I don't believe we have had them visit our planet sadly.

Original post by Justaboutalive
Ofc, i mean

Spoiler

Yes you may want to look at the mirror every day but why don't you guys Google the word Europa and have a look at.
It's one of the moons of Jupiter. There is a good possibility we are going to find an entire ecosystem below the icy surface. It contains twice as much water as here on Earth.
Reply 25
Original post by Bushyasta
Europa, Titan, Mars.

Really hope so but if not then somewhere, the universe is so vast
Original post by Bushyasta
Yes you may want to look at the mirror every day but why don't you guys Google the word Europa and have a look at.
It's one of the moons of Jupiter. There is a good possibility we are going to find an entire ecosystem below the icy surface. It contains twice as much water as here on Earth.

I've heard of smth about it, pretty cool.
Reply 27
Original post by Justaboutalive
I've heard of smth about it, pretty cool.

Yeah im well aware of titan and europa and enceladus and phosphorus on venus and all the other maybe places in the sol life may be but the jovian and saturnian moons recieve a massive amount of radiation and the chemistry there is extreeme enviroments that the chances of life go down. You would be really betting on extremeophiles or microscopic life
Original post by Tosh8
Yeah im well aware of titan and europa and enceladus and phosphorus on venus and all the other maybe places in the sol life may be but the jovian and saturnian moons recieve a massive amount of radiation and the chemistry there is extreeme enviroments that the chances of life go down. You would be really betting on extremeophiles or microscopic life

Yeah that makes sense, guess Earth is our planet for a reason.
yess
them crop circles didn't make themselves, no sirree bob

:confused:
It's not really a question of belief. Considering the number of planets in the universe, it's highly likely that at least microbial life has arisen elsewhere, and likely has arisen elsewhere in this galaxy. Considering it took life 3.9 billion years to evolve into us, and the fact that most planets probably don't stay climatically or chemically stable for long enough to allow life to exist for that long (we've really only just got in on the last billion years or so of Earth's habitability, and Earth has stayed climatically stable for an exceptionally long time), complex life like animals is likely extremely rare. However, the universe is incomprehensibly huge, and so we are almost certainly not alone in being complex life. We will probably just never be able to reach or contact them since the closest guys to us are most likely tens or hundreds of millions of light years away.

There is a good possibility we are going to find an entire ecosystem below the icy surface

Define 'good'. By human standards the probability is quite terrible.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cryoraptor
It's not really a question of belief. Considering the number of planets in the universe, it's highly likely that at least microbial life has arisen elsewhere, and likely has arisen elsewhere in this galaxy. Considering it took life 3.9 billion years to evolve into us, and the fact that most planets probably don't stay climatically or chemically stable for long enough to allow life to exist for that long (we've really only just got in on the last billion years or so of Earth's habitability, and Earth has stayed climatically stable for an exceptionally long time), complex life like animals is likely extremely rare. However, the universe is incomprehensibly huge, and so we are almost certainly not alone in being complex life. We will probably just never be able to reach or contact them since the closest guys to us are most likely tens or hundreds of millions of light years away.

Define 'good'. By human standards the probability is quite terrible.

Well said :smile:.
Kind Regards,
BigShaq6969.
Original post by Cıllıan
Not believing in aliens is like getting a cup of water from the ocean and saying "I don't believe in sharks because there are no sharks in my cup"

did u come up with this analogy yourself lol
Ehh, not sure, I do believe there’s a strange creature out there that we have not discovered though lolz.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I suspect they’re out there somewhere, because it just seems likely that they have arisen, given that we arose and there are trillions more planets out there. I don’t think any have made contact with us.

Original post by Icosagon
I like that. :smile:

its not the same wtf are you dumb
is anyone on drugs man
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by yeetouttawindow

youre all dumb a shark cant fit in a cup
Original post by the bear
them crop circles didn't make themselves, no sirree bob

:confused:

no a lawn mower did
Original post by yeetouttawindow

Got it from an insta page when I was like 16 and obsessed with astrophysics lmao
I want to. Because it's exciting to think we are not alone in the universe.

Quick Reply

Latest