The Student Room Group

Sociology a level in 1 Yr + maths n bio retakes

Currently in Yr 13. Finished Btec science (worth 1 a level) with either Pass or Merit. Retaking Yr 13 maths and biology a level next year. Plan was to do Sociology in one year next year now the teachers unsure.
Any input if this is a smart move or not? Could just do AS but kind of wanted 3 full a levels...
Reply 1
Original post by anwarm0
Currently in Yr 13. Finished Btec science (worth 1 a level) with either Pass or Merit. Retaking Yr 13 maths and biology a level next year. Plan was to do Sociology in one year next year now the teachers unsure.
Any input if this is a smart move or not? Could just do AS but kind of wanted 3 full a levels...

If you're talking about doing A-level Sociology in one year, then I would say that's going to be a challenging albeit not impossible. It's very content heavy as there's a lot of content to cover from across different topics for 3 papers! Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
If you're talking about doing A-level Sociology in one year, then I would say that's going to be a challenging albeit not impossible. It's very content heavy as there's a lot of content to cover from across different topics for 3 papers! Good luck.

Thanks it is v content heavy. I'd be starting in September if it even happens with maybe few months of study before. This would mean probably around 9/10 months to actually learn everything on top of A2 maths and bio. Is that doable?
Reply 3
Original post by anwarm0
Thanks it is v content heavy. I'd be starting in September if it even happens with maybe few months of study before. This would mean probably around 9/10 months to actually learn everything on top of A2 maths and bio. Is that doable?

As I said before, it's by no means impossible to do, but it's going to be quite a challenge as A-level Sociology is notably very content heavy. I think it would be beneficial to do a bit of study for Sociology before September - I recommend looking at theories and methods (essentially sociological research methods) and ensuring you have a solid understanding of sociological theory in general (Functionalism, Marxism, Feminism, Postmodernism, etc.). As for specific topics in Sociology (e.g. Crime and Deviance, etc.), I think once you've got a solid understanding of sociological theory, you'll be fine with linking the theories to particular topics and obviously learning key theorists for the topics, e.g. Bowles and Gintis (Functionalism) Correspondence Principle in Education. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest