The Student Room Group

Quotient rule question

Hi can someone check my working out for part a and b and then help me with part c please?:smile:3645299B-CE6B-4D3C-8E30-3966F3E12016.jpg
Reply 1
ai) you get the soln so it looks ok
aii) Have a read
https://www.mathsisfun.com/calculus/concave-up-down-convex.html
It obviously uses part a)

Upload what youve tried for b?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
a) you get the soln so it looks ok
b) Have a read
https://www.mathsisfun.com/calculus/concave-up-down-convex.html
It obviously uses part a)

Upload what youve tried for c?

B) x>0 i think
I remember something about sinx integrating to root 1+2x i think but i wasnt sure and part c completely threw me
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by akawesome
I remember something about sinx integrating to root 1+2x i think but i wasnt sure and part c completely threw me

Youre told the substitution for the integral (b)? Part c) is not uploaded.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Youre told the substitution for the integral (b)? Part c) is not uploaded.

Yeah sorry i meant part b
Reply 5
Yeah sorry i meant part b

Just use the suggested substitution and upload what you get to. Generally integrals and derivatives using tan use the tan-sec identity at some point.
Reply 6
B) x>0 i think

aii) didnt comment on it, but redo your working and check it. It sounds like the curve is given to you, so just eyeball it for a rough verification. You could note that the function is symmetric about x=0, so it must have the same properties on each side. Based on this, your guess isnt correct.
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
Just use the suggested substitution and upload what you get to. Generally integrals and derivatives using tan use the tan-sec identity at some point.

Hi I tried it and i got this D2688B76-9F8F-45EA-BF1A-AE80B0013932.jpeg
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
aii) didnt comment on it, but redo your working and check it. It sounds like the curve is given to you, so just eyeball it for a rough verification. You could note that the function is symmetric about x=0, so it must have the same properties on each side. Based on this, your guess isnt correct.

Would it be the function is concave downwards for all real values of x?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Err youve forgotten to change the dx to a dtheta? Its one of the fundamental parts of integration by substitution. Similarly the theta reverts to x and the limits dont change ....
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
Err youve forgotten to change the dx to a dtheta? Its one of the fundamental parts of integration by substitution. Similarly the theta reverts to x and the limits dont change ....

So would the answe be cos^-1 of the final answer that i got?
(edited 2 years ago)
Would it be the function is concave downwards for all real values of x?

Why not do the analysis properly (second derivative sign) based on the info in that link and verify it with your ruler using the figure given in the question, as is described at the top of the link.
So would the answe be cos^-1 of the final answer that i got?

No. Line 1 has several mistakes which wont simply disappear by taking acos. You really need to redo a few worked examples of substition from your textbook.

Quick Reply

Latest