The Student Room Group

Why am I such a bad reader?

Hi, I’m an a level student studying all essay based corses. My issue is not that I am a slow reader, but that I literally do not take in any knowledge when I read... even the most obvious things have to be pointed out to me. Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks babs!
Original post by ambathebunny
Hi, I’m an a level student studying all essay based corses. My issue is not that I am a slow reader, but that I literally do not take in any knowledge when I read... even the most obvious things have to be pointed out to me. Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks babs!

Is it possible if you could talk to your school about it and they/your GP could have you checked.
Something like that could really hinder your ability to excel in your studies.
I advise you get yourself checked up asap. As a result, you could be given extra time as well, which is a win win.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it possible if you could talk to your school about it and they/your GP could have you checked.
Something like that could really hinder your ability to excel in your studies.
I advise you get yourself checked up asap. As a result, you could be given extra time as well, which is a win win.

hey thanks for replying, ill try do that, I used to have dyslexia but i thought it just kinda went away, maybe it’s just never really left? Anyways thanks!
Do you have a problem?
Do you have a problem?

Yea kinda... it’s prohibited me from reading properly

Learning disabilities or something maybe

I'm sorry to hear that you have learning disabilities.
I'm sure you're school can accomodate your situation nicely.
During your exam season, they will probably also apply for 'extenuating circumstances'.
They most likely would give you extra time as well :smile:.
I'm sure you're school will be understanding.
All the best.

I have this but its more dyspraxia related - I’m not dyslexic but I certainly relate to the not taking much in when reading mostly down to slower processing speed (which is apparently a thing too) :smile:

hey thanks for replying, ill try do that, I used to have dyslexia but i thought it just kinda went away, maybe it’s just never really left? Anyways thanks!

When the assessor at my uni evaluated me they kinda explained afterwards that over time we can develop coping strategies but when things become ramped up like when w have a lot of assignments to do / lots of things to organise everything becomes slightly harder e.g. I’m guessing bc you’re doing A Levels around this time you’re probably studying for a various assessments, so the pressure increases around this time and you’re likely trying to manage everything and that’s when everything starts to become a little more overwhelming so we can become leas focussed (dead annoying).
Original post by Chronoscope
I have this but its more dyspraxia related - I’m not dyslexic but I certainly relate to the not taking much in when reading mostly down to slower processing speed (which is apparently a thing too) :smile:

When the assessor at my uni evaluated me they kinda explained afterwards that over time we can develop coping strategies but when things become ramped up like when w have a lot of assignments to do / lots of things to organise everything becomes slightly harder e.g. I’m guessing bc you’re doing A Levels around this time you’re probably studying for a various assessments, so the pressure increases around this time and you’re likely trying to manage everything and that’s when everything starts to become a little more overwhelming so we can become leas focussed (dead annoying).

hey thank u sm! i’ve been reading a lot lately and do have exams in a few weeks, i’m gonna talk to my school about to hopefully on monday and see if they can do anything for me. thank u, i rlly appreciate it!
Learning disabilities or something maybe

no idea, used to have dyslexia when i was younger but other then that i’m not sure.
I'm sorry to hear that you have learning disabilities.
I'm sure you're school can accomodate your situation nicely.
During your exam season, they will probably also apply for 'extenuating circumstances'.
They most likely would give you extra time as well :smile:.
I'm sure you're school will be understanding.
All the best.

thank you!! i’ll ask about having possible extra time in the exam & when i get back to school on monday, thank you sm!!
dyslexia is life long it does not go away.You can learn coping strategies but as the work get hard they may fail and dyslexia become obvious again .You would a new set os adjustments for the new situation .Is a disability under the equality act so school must adjust or prove you do not have it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending