A level chemistry help.... I need urgent help

Watch
S.78_t
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
The standard enthalpy change of solution for ammonium nitrate, NH4NO3 , is +25.7 kJ mol–1.

(a) Calculate the value for the standard entropy change in the surroundings, ∆Ssurroundings , when ammonium nitrate dissolves in water at 298 K.
Include a sign and units with your answer. [2 marks]

(b) Explain what can be deduced from your answer in (a) about the sign and the value of the standard entropy change in the system, ∆Ssystem , when NH4NO3 dissolves. [3 marks]

Can someone please help me with this question? Thanks in advance

For (a) I got -86.24 J mol^-1 K^-1 but I’m not sure
medicnia20
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
I got the same for part (a)

For (b), I’m not completely sure, but I’d assume the entropy of system has to be positive, and by a larger amount than the entropy of surroundings (so over 86.2) in order for the total entropy to be positive and therefore feasible. Ill show the question to my chem tutor later on and get back to you on what they say
S.78_t
Rep:
(Original post by medicnia20)
I got the same for part (a)

For (b), I’m not completely sure, but I’d assume the entropy of system has to be positive, and by a larger amount than the entropy of surroundings (so over 86.2) in order for the total entropy to be positive and therefore feasible. Ill show the question to my chem tutor later on and get back to you on what they say
Thank you so much.
would you please help me with some other questions? I don’t wanna be a burden so it’s totally fine if you refuse
medicnia20
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by S.78_t)
Thank you so much.
would you please help me with some other questions? I don’t wanna be a burden so it’s totally fine if you refuse
Sure, i think I’m doing the same set of questions as you, so we can help each other out
S.78_t
Rep:
Sure, i think I’m doing the same set of questions as you, so we can help each other out
Great... would you like to help each other out on social media rather than here?
Last edited by Wilykit; 5 months ago
medicnia20
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Great... would you like to help each other out on social media rather than here?

My ig id is s.78_t
i don’t have an instagram, give me a second and i’ll make one quick
S.78_t
Rep:
i don’t have an instagram, give me a second and i’ll make one quick
Sure.. I accepted your follow request.. please accept mine
somone456
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
The standard enthalpy change of solution for ammonium nitrate, NH4NO3 , is +25.7 kJ mol–1.

(a) Calculate the value for the standard entropy change in the surroundings, ∆Ssurroundings , when ammonium nitrate dissolves in water at 298 K.
Include a sign and units with your answer. [2 marks]

(b) Explain what can be deduced from your answer in (a) about the sign and the value of the standard entropy change in the system, ∆Ssystem , when NH4NO3 dissolves. [3 marks]

Can someone please help me with this question? Thanks in advance

For (a) I got -86.24 J mol^-1 K^-1 but I’m not sure
what exam board is this for?
somone456
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by eliana100)
Edexcel do you have the ms for this paper
what year is it from?
Last edited by somone456; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (8)
10%
Okay (26)
32.5%
A bit lacking (22)
27.5%
Not good at all (24)
30%

Watched Threads