sure! my pms are a bit weird so if you put it on here i can mark it for you
Zobia khan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by phoebexo)
sure! my pms are a bit weird so if you put it on here i can mark it for you
Evaluate neural correlates and or hormonal mechanisms in aggression (8 marks )

Human aggression can be explained in terms of brain structures and mechanisms. The limbic system is a network of subcortical structures in the brain linked to regulating emotional behaviour. Amygdala is the most important part of the Limbic system. It determines how both humans and non-human animals behave in response to environmental threats and challenges. The reactivity of the amygdala is proven to be an important predictor of aggressive behaviour.

Research in Greece found that removing the amygdala reduced aggressive incidents by between 33% and 100%- however this research is limited as it is only representative of a small sample- (13 patients). It is low in population validity and generalisability.

Hormonal mechanisms such as testosterone may also play a role in aggressive behaviour. It has a role in regulating social behaviour via its influence on certain areas of the brain related to aggression.

Individuals with elevated testosterone levels exhibit signs of aggression but rarely commit aggressive acts, suggesting that social and cognitive factors play a mediating role as investigated by researchers and psychologists.

- Thank you so much oml
Zobia khan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Bump?
username5695598
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
9/8
phoebexo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zobia khan)
Evaluate neural correlates and or hormonal mechanisms in aggression (8 marks )

Human aggression can be explained in terms of brain structures and mechanisms. The limbic system is a network of subcortical structures in the brain linked to regulating emotional behaviour. Amygdala is the most important part of the Limbic system. It determines how both humans and non-human animals behave in response to environmental threats and challenges. The reactivity of the amygdala is proven to be an important predictor of aggressive behaviour.

Research in Greece found that removing the amygdala reduced aggressive incidents by between 33% and 100%- however this research is limited as it is only representative of a small sample- (13 patients). It is low in population validity and generalisability.

Hormonal mechanisms such as testosterone may also play a role in aggressive behaviour. It has a role in regulating social behaviour via its influence on certain areas of the brain related to aggression.

Individuals with elevated testosterone levels exhibit signs of aggression but rarely commit aggressive acts, suggesting that social and cognitive factors play a mediating role as investigated by researchers and psychologists.

- Thank you so much oml
Your first paragraph is really good!
However, I think the rest of your paragraphs are quite brief and need to be expanded a bit. So, for example your evaluation of the amydala's role in aggression is very brief, it seems like you're just trying to fit everything into one sentence. Also, I would signpost the sentence so for example "A strength of the neural correlates explanation for aggression is that there is research support for the role of the amydala in aggression."
Your explanation and evaluation of hormonal mechanisms is the same. You haven't exactly explained how testosterone leads to aggression, and there's lots of research to back this up which I think you could have mentioned (e.g. Dolan et al., animal studies etc.) Progesterone also plays a role in aggression in women, which you could have mentioned.
Last paragraph also doesn't add anything - is this meant to be an evaluation point? If so, signpost this! Also expand on your points.

Overall, I would give this a 4 or 5 out of 8. I think it's a really good starting point, but it lacks detail and proper explanation and evaluation.
If you need more help with this, I'd be happy to help more!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (172)
44.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.03%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.21%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.28%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (38)
9.74%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.64%

Watched Threads