Question regarding the national curriculum

Watch
hexf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm not from around these parts and I'm not familiar with the local education system, I could use some help in wrapping my head around the national curriculum and the minimum amount of GCSEs that most colleges require (which in most cases is apparently 5).

Recently I've been looking into some GCSE courses, my main foci are Mathematics, Computer Science, English, German, and Spanish.

However, the gov.uk page regarding the national curriculum states that the core subjects are English, Mathematics, and Science. Does that mean I am required to include the latter (or any combination of Chemistry, Biology, and Physics) in my agenda should I look forward to enrol at a college in the future?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, there's no need to take a Science, unless you will need it for a career aspiration later on (for instance you need at least a grade 4 in at least one Science to be a primary school teacher.)
Skatie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The core subjects are usually the ones mandatory in school, but the only ones they're really strict on are that you need to pass maths and english language, so I'd reccomend you do those two. A lot of people forced to take sciences don't pass and it doesn't stop them going to college, but maths and english are often a basic requirement.

Like Compost said, science would only be important if you need it for a future course/career.

There's single, double, and triple science as well, so if you're not sure you could do a single science GCSE just in case.
Last edited by Skatie; 1 month ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Skatie)
There's single, double, and triple science as well, so if you're not sure you could do a single science GCSE just in case.
There's no longer a single GCSE in Science, the options would be to pick one from Biology, Chemistry and Physics or to take Combined Science (which is 2 GCSEs) - or to do IGCSE Science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (27)
36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (7)
9.33%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
5.33%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (23)
30.67%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (9)
12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (5)
6.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise