A level Chemistry heterogeneous catalyst help!!

Watch
medicnia20
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
“Describe how a heterogeneous catalyst increases the rate of reaction [3marks]”

Can someone please write out a model answer for this question please, i know its pretty easy, I’m not sure why I’m finding it challenging, thanks!
Sick0_M0de
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A heterogeneous catalyst is a catalyst that is in the same state as the reactants. Catalysts work by providing an alternative reaction pathway with a lower activation energy thus increasing the rate of reaction.
kristenVigil
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I believe heterogeneous = different phase.
Something about reactant adsorb onto the surface of the catalyst.
Do you have access to this question's marking scheme? Try to formulate your answer base on that.
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
not sure what the mark scheme says but if one reactants is adsorbed onto surface of the catalyst, the bonds in the reactants maybe broken and the new bonds with the catalyst are weak, so a second reactant can react with the one on the catalyst - this will have a reduced activation energy.

Both reactants can be adsorbed onto the catalyst surface and can "wander " freely over the surface where they can collide and react, they then leave the catalyst surface easily as bonds to the catalyst are weak.

One reactant can be absorbed onto the surface and be held in a particularly favourable geometry for the second or other reactants to reactant with it.

All of the above as someone else mentioned have lower activation energy, and since this is lower it will be faster to.

not sure if this helps much but its all I have got!
gogrizz123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by medicnia20)
“Describe how a heterogeneous catalyst increases the rate of reaction [3marks]”

Can someone please write out a model answer for this question please, i know its pretty easy, I’m not sure why I’m finding it challenging, thanks!
A catalyst that is not in the same state as the reactants, works by providing an alternative reaction pathway with less Ea, so more molecules have E>Ea, you get more successful collisions and as such a faster rate of reaction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads