stressingrn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
when you are solving momentum or impulse for normal numbers you need to always choose a positive direction. do you need to pick a positive direction if the velocity/impulse is given in vector form? someone explain
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maryyyxxx)
when you are solving momentum or impulse for normal numbers you need to always choose a positive direction. do you need to pick a positive direction if the velocity/impulse is given in vector form? someone explain
When the velocity is given in either form, there is implicitly a direction or coordinate system defined. if a speed (magnitude) is givem, you need to set up your own coordinate system and use it consistently.

Coud you upload an actual question which illustrates your confusion?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
stressingrn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
When the velocity is given in either form, there is implicitly a direction or coordinate system defined. if a speed (magnitude) is givem, you need to set up your own coordinate system and use it consistently.

Coud you upload an actual question which illustrates your confusion?
Name:  Screenshot 2021-05-08 125818.png
Views: 5
Size:  125.3 KB
This is like a question of what I meant. I got most of the exercises wrong because I was setting a positive direction for the velocity, but i think I understand since vectors already have a direction , so thank you
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maryyyxxx)
Name:  Screenshot 2021-05-08 125818.png
Views: 5
Size:  125.3 KB
This is like a question of what I meant. I got most of the exercises wrong because I was setting a positive direction for the velocity, but i think I understand since vectors already have a direction , so thank you
Yes, so the same coordinate axis is used for displacement, velocity, acceleration, force (impulse) as theyre related by derivatives/integrals. It generally helps to sketch it when you start the question.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.82%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (56)
24.24%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (28)
12.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed