Energy & Climate policy at Sussex or UCL or Edinburgh

Watch
Djohn1988
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi all,
I looking to firm my offer at SPRU Sussex in MSc Energy & Climate Policy. SPRU has a distinct international reputation. However, course rankings in Edinburgh and UCL is higher in the league tables (awaiting response). Since I am an international student, it would be helpful anyone could shed some light in graduate prospects/satisfaction and employability?
Djohn1988
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Any one?
Djohn1988
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
University of Sussex Official Reps can you help me with this question.. How is the energy & climate policy masters at sussex? What is the graduate prospects post the course?
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Djohn1988)
University of Sussex Official Reps can you help me with this question.. How is the energy & climate policy masters at sussex? What is the graduate prospects post the course?
Hello, thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, myself I have not studied the Energy & Climate Policy Masters at Sussex. However, hopefully I can still provide you with some general information and the relevant contact details that can ultimately support you in deciding whether or not this is the right course for you.

In terms of the performance rankings, the Sussex Energy & Climate Policy Masters Course comes:
1st in the UK among science and technology policy think tanks for SPRU – Science Policy Research Unit (Global Go To Think Tank Index Report 2020)
4th in the UK in the field of energy economics (Research Papers in Economics 2021)
And, Top 10 in the UK for Business and Economics (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2021)
These could be seen as fairly substantial recognitions; thus, suggesting that the course might provide the means to effectively support the progression onto careers in Research Policy, Business and Economics, among others.

Summary of the work you might be able to engage in after taking this course:

1. International organisations (such as the OECD, UNDP, UNEP, IEA, and IREAN)
2. Government departments (such as the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change, Government of British Columbia, Canada)
3. Local authorities (such as the Brighton & Hove Council sustainability team)
4. Businesses (such as RWE npower, Ecofys, EDF, Unilever, Southern Solar, Renaissance Re, Centro de Apoio a Inovação Social-CAIS)
5. Non-Governmental Organisations, NGOs (such as the International Social Science Council, Green Jobs Alliance, People and Planet)
6. Independent consultancies
7. Academia and further research.

Useful Contacts to obtain more detailed information about the course:

Course enquiries (+44 (0)1273 872668; [email protected]) - to ask any general questions about the course, including what careers you might be able to go into after its completion.

General Admissions enquiries:
If you haven’t applied yet (+44 (0)1273 876787; Send us a message)
After you’ve applied (+44 (0)1273 877773; [email protected])

The Science Policy Research Unit - useful webpage to find out more information about the members of staff who work at Sussex, as well as, the type and success of research that has already been carried out/the current and future research directions.

Book Live Webchat - Online Masters Q/A Sessions can be booked in advance with postgraduate students who have studied this course. This could be a great opportunity to gather the most authentic insights into what it is like to study Sussex Energy & Climate Policy Masters Course at Sussex & receive some valuable top tips for how to do well on the course, etc.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions that I might be able to help you with .

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student MSci with a Year Abroad)
Last edited by University of Sussex Official Reps; 1 month ago
Djohn1988
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps)
Hello, thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, myself I have not studied the Energy & Climate Policy Masters at Sussex. However, hopefully I can still provide you with some general information and the relevant contact details that can ultimately support you in deciding whether or not this is the right course for you.

In terms of the performance rankings, the Sussex Energy & Climate Policy Masters Course comes:
1st in the UK among science and technology policy think tanks for SPRU – Science Policy Research Unit (Global Go To Think Tank Index Report 2020)
4th in the UK in the field of energy economics (Research Papers in Economics 2021)
And, Top 10 in the UK for Business and Economics (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2021)
These could be seen as fairly substantial recognitions; thus, suggesting that the course might provide the means to effectively support the progression onto careers in Research Policy, Business and Economics, among others.

Summary of the work you might be able to engage in after taking this course:

1. International organisations (such as the OECD, UNDP, UNEP, IEA, and IREAN)
2. Government departments (such as the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change, Government of British Columbia, Canada)
3. Local authorities (such as the Brighton & Hove Council sustainability team)
4. Businesses (such as RWE npower, Ecofys, EDF, Unilever, Southern Solar, Renaissance Re, Centro de Apoio a Inovação Social-CAIS)
5. Non-Governmental Organisations, NGOs (such as the International Social Science Council, Green Jobs Alliance, People and Planet)
6. Independent consultancies
7. Academia and further research.

Useful Contacts to obtain more detailed information about the course:

Course enquiries (+44 (0)1273 872668; [email protected]) - to ask any general questions about the course, including what careers you might be able to go into after its completion.

General Admissions enquiries:
If you haven’t applied yet (+44 (0)1273 876787; Send us a message)
After you’ve applied (+44 (0)1273 877773; [email protected])

The Science Policy Research Unit - useful webpage to find out more information about the members of staff who work at Sussex, as well as, the type and success of research that has already been carried out/the current and future research directions.

Book Live Webchat - Online Masters Q/A Sessions can be booked in advance with postgraduate students who have studied this course. This could be a great opportunity to gather the most authentic insights into what it is like to study Sussex Energy & Climate Policy Masters Course at Sussex & receive some valuable top tips for how to do well on the course, etc.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions that I might be able to help you with .

Best Wishes,
Thank you for general information. I am assuming since it is having such a good profile, will it be competitive to gain admission? What would be the acceptance rate for this course or generally for SPRU courses in your opinion?
Advertisement
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Djohn1988)
Thank you for general information. I am assuming since it is having such a good profile, will it be competitive to gain admission? What would be the acceptance rate for this course or generally for SPRU courses in your opinion?
Hello, again thank you for your question.

As stated on the Sussex web-pages, the degree requirement for the Energy & Climate Policy Masters is a lower second-class (2.2) undergraduate honours degree or above. Your qualification can be in any subject and undergraduate degrees in the social sciences, natural science or engineering are particularly suitable. You may also be considered for the course if you have other professional qualifications or experience of equivalent standing. I would say as long as you meet this criteria, you chances of securing a place are pretty good! Of course, this will depend on how many applications have been received on a given year and the number of course spaces offered. To obtain more details about these statistics, I would suggest emailing the Course Enquiries ([email protected]) and/or the General Admissions Enquiries (Send us a message), since they are likely to have more insights with regard to these matters than I do. However, in my opinion, the best approach is always to simply to send the best application that you can, focussing on why you are a suitable candidate for this course, rather than to over-worry about the competition .

I hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck and do let me know if you have any further queries or concerns.

Best Wishes,
Last edited by University of Sussex Official Reps; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads