RandmTask
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am currently undertaking undertaking a Chemical Engineering degree through Strathclyde university

I can finish next year (2022) with a non-Honours (Pass) degree or stick it out until 2023 with an Honours degree, then possibly proceed onto a Masters degree.

Any thoughts on whether I should graduate with a pass degree or Honours? Will it be significantly easier get a job with a Honours degree? Is my earning potential significantly greater with a Honours degree?

At this stage not sure what country I will end up in, but likely to be the UK or Australia
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RandmTask)
Hi,

I am currently undertaking undertaking a Chemical Engineering degree through Strathclyde university

I can finish next year (2022) with a non-Honours (Pass) degree or stick it out until 2023 with an Honours degree, then possibly proceed onto a Masters degree.

Any thoughts on whether I should graduate with a pass degree or Honours? Will it be significantly easier get a job with a Honours degree? Is my earning potential significantly greater with a Honours degree?

At this stage not sure what country I will end up in, but likely to be the UK or Australia
In the UK an honours degree is often the minimum requirement for a graduate job. When a job requires a "2:1" or "2:2" for example, that is specifying an upper or lower second class honours degree. In Scotland - unlike England - you can leave after third year and obtain a pass degree. However, this is typically one done in exceptional circumstances. It is expected that if you enrol in a bachelors degree you will stay to obtain honours.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Always get a honours degree if you can as it will make getting a job easier.
martin7
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

It seems odd that in one breath you're suggesting finishing with a pass degree, and in the next suggesting that you might want to go on to get a master's degree.

A pass degree is a lower classification that a third-class honours degree, and people with a third-class degree are already at a significant disadvantage to those with a 2ii, a 2i, or a first.

Your university has a Careers Service -- https://www.strath.ac.uk/professionalservices/careers/ -- it might be worth making an appointment to discuss this with an advisor there. Make sure you tell them that you're considering working abroad in the future, as that might affect the advice they give you.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by martin7)
It seems odd that in one breath you're suggesting finishing with a pass degree, and in the next suggesting that you might want to go on to get a master's degree.

A pass degree is a lower classification that a third-class honours degree, and people with a third-class degree are already at a significant disadvantage to those with a 2ii, a 2i, or a first.

Your university has a Careers Service -- https://www.strath.ac.uk/professionalservices/careers/ -- it might be worth making an appointment to discuss this with an advisor there. Make sure you tell them that you're considering working abroad in the future, as that might affect the advice they give you.
The OP is in Scotland - things work differently there.
martin7
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
The OP is in Scotland - things work differently there.
OK, I'm happy to accept that the Scottish system is different -- perhaps you could indicate which bits of what I've written don't apply to Scottish university degrees. (I'm genuinely interested.)
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by martin7)
OK, I'm happy to accept that the Scottish system is different -- perhaps you could indicate which bits of what I've written don't apply to Scottish university degrees. (I'm genuinely interested.)
honestly - not sure. I've come across something similar with people doing accounting degrees in Scotland. From recollection:

- In England we would see a pass degree as being getting a lower grade than someone who is awarded honours. It would take the same time but reflects weaker result during this time.

- I think there are courses in Scotland where you can be awarded a pass degree with a certain amount of time/ courses or stay at university for longer/ complete more courses and gain an honours degree.

- This the Scottish honours degree is a reflection of time spent studying more than academic performance.
RandmTask
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks all, your replies have been helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads