The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Oxford?

I have 999988887 for my GCSEs (predicted) and I want to apply for ox PPE but there's a few of other kids in my school that have better GCSEs than I do that may apply to oxford, do I have a shot? or am I just being naive?
Oxford places a heavy emphasis on GCSEs. The average number of A*s of a successful candidate is around 11A*s. However I think a very high entrance exam score can compensate for a slightly lower number of A*s to get an interview. You definitely do have a shot though. Don't worry about what other people have or not.
Original post by iblover123
Oxford places a heavy emphasis on GCSEs. The average number of A*s of a successful candidate is around 11A*s. However I think a very high entrance exam score can compensate for a slightly lower number of A*s to get an interview. You definitely do have a shot though. Don't worry about what other people have or not.

According to a recent Freedom of Information response, for PPE, the average number of A*s at GCSE is 8 (for those offered an interview) or 8.5 (for those offered a place). Between 24% and 38% of those interviewed had just 5 A*s. The link also describes the relative importance of different components of an application.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/720601/response/1728480/attach/html/3/letter%20FOI%2020210122%202.pdf.html
Original post by OxFossil
According to a recent Freedom of Information response, for PPE, the average number of A*s at GCSE is 8 (for those offered an interview) or 8.5 (for those offered a place). Between 24% and 38% of those interviewed had just 5 A*s. The link also describes the relative importance of different components of an application.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/720601/response/1728480/attach/html/3/letter%20FOI%2020210122%202.pdf.html

Hey would you know the average amount of A stars for Physics? x
Original post by Qxi.xli
Hey would you know the average amount of A stars for Physics? x

Only by searching that same website for FoI responses on the topic. But you can do that too :wink:
Original post by Simran.ooo
I have 999988887 for my GCSEs (predicted) and I want to apply for ox PPE but there's a few of other kids in my school that have better GCSEs than I do that may apply to oxford, do I have a shot? or am I just being naive?

Bear in mind Oxford do not distinguish between 8 and 9 grades at GCSE currently and consider both equivalent to the old A*. So you have 8 A*s, with an 88% proportion of A* grades from your GCSEs overall. I imagine you will be competitive with a good TSA score, provided you are also taking A-level Maths.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Bear in mind Oxford do not distinguish between 8 and 9 grades at GCSE currently and consider both equivalent to the old A*. So you have 8 A*s, with an 88% proportion of A* grades from your GCSEs overall. I imagine you will be competitive with a good TSA score, provided you are also taking A-level Maths.

That's a relief, and yup I do take A level maths
Just do your best academically. After year 12, you'll know whether Oxbridge is realistic or not.
Original post by iblover123
The average number of A*s of a successful candidate is around 11A*s.

Never been true.

Original post by Simran.ooo

Of course. Just work hard and learn about the application process. Ultimately, interview and admission test scores are the best way of getting a place.
Ultimately it's more about how well you do after GCSEs, but those GCSE scores definitely aren't going to cause you to get rejected. I don't think I know anyone who got 11 A*s or more and I did noticeably worse than you at GCSE. Don't compare yourself to others and focus on developing your aptitude for and broadening your interest in PPE because that's what really matters.
-An Oxford PPE student
Original post by OctoberRain7
Ultimately it's more about how well you do after GCSEs, but those GCSE scores definitely aren't going to cause you to get rejected. I don't think I know anyone who got 11 A*s or more and I did noticeably worse than you at GCSE. Don't compare yourself to others and focus on developing your aptitude for and broadening your interest in PPE because that's what really matters.
-An Oxford PPE student

what a levels did you do and what grades did you get?
Original post by Oliver000
what a levels did you do and what grades did you get?

English Literature, German and Maths (plus AS French). Apart from Maths the other A Levels are essentially free choice for what you enjoy. My offer was AAA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending