The Student Room Group

making of aspirin

Can someone please explain what is meant by and break it down for me
1. Analyse how relevant the factors you have identified as affecting yield and purity are in the industrial manufacture of aspirin and in ensuring scalability.
and
2. Analyse whether melting point measurement, mixed melting point measurement and thin layer chromatography are effective ways to assess whether an organic solid is pure, and explaining whether other methods used industrially are more effective.
(edited 2 years ago)
1. I think it's asking you to explain how yield is improved in industry to make sure a profit is made/enough aspirin is made to not be wasteful. I can't think of anything off the top of my head though (I still haven't revised this practical).
2. I guess you have to explain how each of the methods can be used to check for purity- melting point is higher and over a range of values for an impure substance but lower and with a sharp melting temperature for a pure substance/compare the melting point of the product with the melting point from a data book, with TLC you can find the Rf valule of the substance and compare it with a data book value to see how close it is to the expected value and therefore how pure it is.

Quick Reply

Latest