The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samreen.cheema05
Q3)Within the harrowing account of Source A the writer depicts his vivid and inexplicable pain as he “hit the slope at the base of the cliff” through the use of powerful imagery. This is emphasised as the “pain flooded down my thigh a fierce burning coming down inside” as we are evidently illustrated the overwhelming physical pain and helplessness of the writer. The use of the adjective “fierce” and “burning fire” gives the reader the impression the pain is viscously gnawing at him and may imply his forthcoming end to this extreme agony. By using the imagery of fire, typically associated with destruction implies here it is no exception and further reinforces this affliction as it burns at his shell within. Alternatively, Simpson juxtaposes this idea of fire by carefully placing the words “fire” and “flooded” as the contrasting symbols of fire and water may imply this extreme pain of burning is only harsher in this icy abyss. Moreover, the imagery of fire and water is caused by nature and may suggest the force of nature is working against him.
Furthermore, Simpson reinforces this sense of torment as he describes the “freezing blasts of snow biting into my face” that somewhat acts as the stinging pain that rationalizes himself, as letting the writer escape from his dazed and confused state of pain for sentient and remarks of his own consciousness. The use of the adjectives “blast” within the personification can be connotated with war and explosions which may show that the writer is in great pain and chaos in his surroundings
Q4)Within Source A the writer generally finds it more difficult to embrace his surroundings on their adventure as a “wave of nausea surged over me” through his sheer agony and distraught. This is suggested through the metaphor as the aggressive verb “surged” is vigorous and may imply he is forced in this position of agony and uncontrollable havoc; oblivious of how to stop the harrowing sensation eating him alive. This idea is also further reinforced through the noun “waves” as it conveys the sense of unawareness and may suggest he is blind in his next course of action like a wave washing back and forth, retreating and pushing forward or perhaps reflecting his lapsing consciousness throughout his torment. Furthermore, the imagery of waves used may connotate the concept of hidden emotions or forthcoming events like a wave within the eternal seas. In Source B however, the writer is rather unrestrained as they are able to soak in the view as they watch the “beautiful red sunlight” and the “clear stars” from the peak. Distinctively she is possessed in a realm of tranquillity. This is clearly conveyed through the noun “stars” that depicts a positive and enchanting aura that emanates the thoughts of magic and wonder in comparison to the bleak and distressing scene of Joe and Simon.
Additionally, the writer in Source A has an overall more negative outlook to adventures in the mountains. He describes a ''flare of agony'' and a ''wave of nausea and pain''. The writer in Source A has had a much more dangerous and agonising experience, so would feel much more negative about his trip to the mountains. This adventure has also caused him great mental distress, so naturally, he will be quite pessimistic about his journey. Contrastingly, in Source B, the writer is far more optimistic about her mountainous adventure. She says she looks back on the trip with ''complete satisfaction” and was in ''high spirits''. This is a far more positive attitude than that of the writer in Source A, which we as a reader admire and respect, as she is able to see the positives in even the most dangerous and daring adventures that didn’t suit her.

Do you have anything for Q2 ? But this is really useful for me thank you.
Original post by mariaxox_
I have the paper and insert if you would like to me to email it to you.

ok yh that would be great do u need me to pm u my email
Original post by BigAitch78
ok yh that would be great do u need me to pm u my email

Yep
I have the paper and insert if you would like to me to email it to you.

can i have it also?
Reply 24
this is really helpful thanks, do you have a q2 response aswell?
Reply 25
Yep

can I have it also?
Reply 26
Original post by Samreen.cheema05
will have one around may 17th if you dont mind waiting as have other exams tommorow

Do you have an example answer for q5 yet please?
Reply 27
Original post by jrjr222
Do you have an example answer for q5 yet please?

no, I haven't. I am working on it as my exam is on May 26
Hi sorry our class is no longer doing this question but have found this response from another chat. Hope it helps.

#######boneappleteeth

'People have become obsessed with travelling ever further and faster. However, travel is expensive, dangerous, damaging and a foolish waste of time!'

Write an article for a news website to argue your point of view

The truth about travelling

To many people, the idea of travelling seems fascinating and enchanting. Many people would like to travel to places all over the world. However, it is not that simple: travelling impacts many people and the environment. It requires a lot of effort and in my opinion, it is a waste of money and time.

Firstly, travelling is extremely expensive. Nowadays, people have the opportunity to pay as much money as they would like to go as far as they desire. You could fly by plane to the Bahamas from Australia or you could just take the bus to your local supermarket. However, everything does come with a price. As more and more people have the impulse to travel, prices of transportation have increased. With transportation prices increasing, this means that the less fortunate, and people who do not earn as much, waste more money on travelling rather than essential things for living such as food and housing. These large and selfish corporations are focused on capitalising off normal citizens who have to work nine hours a day. The transportation is also quite dirty and unpleasant, so the fact that they are increasing prices for hard working citizens shows us that travelling is a waste of money. However, some others may disagree and say that the train companies need to charge high ticket prices in order to use the income to improve their services.I disagree with that statement because these corporations are not improving the quality of transport at a rate which justifies the exorbitant costs of travel, but are still taking so much money from the citizens. Which is why travelling is so expensive and people should stop travelling.

Not only is travelling expensive, but travelling is also extremely time-consuming. Instead of doing productive and useful things at home, people often spend hours upon hours in the car, on the bus or even on the plane. People also waste a lot of time waiting at airports, train and bus stations. One in three people say that they spend over two hours a day just waiting for transportation and taking transportation. Instead of wasting so much time travelling you could be doing so much more. People would be able to do more work and do things they actually enjoy. Indeed, lots of excursions can now be made virtually, which saves so much time. You can go look at your favourite monuments and museums online right at home! By doing this you are avoiding the crowded long journeys just to get there. Do you really think it is worth the time just to go see something where you could see it online? Time is extremely precious and we should not waste any of it by doing something that consumes so much time. However, some people may disagree with this and say that travel has been the fastest it's ever been. If travel has been the fastest it's ever been why are so many people wasting so much time trying to get somewhere? This is why travel is very time consuming and a waste of time.

Lastly, travelling hurts the environment a lot. Travelling is not an eco-friendly activity. As networks of transportations get bigger and bigger, so does the amount of harm it does to our environment. Vehicles are one of the major causes of global warming: cars and buses emit carbon dioxide which is a greenhouse gas, which contributes to one-fifth of global warming. Recently the carbon dioxide emissions have increased by 30% just because of people travelling to unnecessary places. Studies have said that by 2050 if we do not stop the carbon dioxide emissions, the Arctic will no longer exist and be extinct. The more and more we travel, the more and more polar bears go extinct everyday. You wouldn't want polar bears, creatures that are so majestic, to not exist anymore, would you? This unnecessary expansion of transportation is not only a waste of money but it impacts the environment and the world we live in. However, some may say that there are ways of travelling whilst being eco friendly. Such as planting more trees to fund climate change. I think that planting trees will definitely help reduce the carbon footprint, but the climate change could be stopped much quicker if we stopped travelling. Which is why travelling is a waste of time and not environmentally friendly.

In conclusion, I hope that you have taken on board everything I have said today. Travelling is extremely expensive, time consuming and it harms the environment. It is a total waste of time.
Reply 29
Original post by yara.x
anyone who has done it what are the extracts about

arent the extracts on the aqa website??
Original post by wilooo
arent the extracts on the aqa website??

no lmao they arent putting the 2020 papers on there

Latest

Trending

Trending