Gcse rs or latin??

Watch this thread
iamcool101
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone, so basically my gcse options have sorta gone through now but we still have a chance to change them. I'm as of now doing:
English lit (compulsory)
English lang (compulsory)
Maths (compulsory)
Triple Science (compulsory)- bio, chem and physics
French
History
Computer Science
Latin

So I did initially put down Latin, but now I'm kinda having second thoughts and kinda think RS might be better? I want to go into either psychology or medicine related career although I really dont know at this point since I love English and literary subjects too. I initially chose Latin since my favourite subjects at school are languages and I'm strongest in languages, but I dont know whether the course will be too boring and difficult. I love English and Languages. Which one is better? Which is more respected? And which will go better with my other options? Please helpp!!
the_cosmo_guy
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
latin is fun tbh
HannahGuys
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
religious studies you are already doing a language and if you want a psychology career religious studies will give you a better understanding.
millycanning
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Arushi075)
Hi everyone, so basically my gcse options have sorta gone through now but we still have a chance to change them. I'm as of now doing:
English lit (compulsory)
Maths (compulsory)
French
History
Computer Science
Latin

So I did initially put down Latin, but now I'm kinda having second thoughts and kinda think RS might be better? I want to go into either psychology or medicine related career although I really dont know at this point since I love English and literary subjects too. I initially chose Latin since my favourite subjects at school are languages and I'm strongest in languages, but I dont know whether the course will be too boring and difficult. I love English and Languages. Which one is better? Which is more respected? And which will go better with my other options? Please helpp!!
from someone who does rs and latin gcse i would say choose RS if you are worried you have a lot of other dense gcses, but choose latin if you enjoy that subject. Im taking my latin a year early and I used to absolutely hate it but now i really really enjoy it in comparison to RS which is slightly boring for me. Latin is generally a more respected option just because it is such a great opportunity to be able to take it as many students do not get the option. RS is relatively easy but the ethics parts are fun to learn about. Honestly I would recommend you stay with Latin if you are ready to put in the effort because there is ALOT to learn and grasp but it is rlly good, but pick RS if you find the content more fun and you need an easy gcse (you have quite hard options anyways so it might be a bit of a stress reliver.) hope this helped xx
Fummi
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'd say RS, generally people find Latin very boring and two languages can mean you spend a lot of time memorising. I personally think RS is very easy and interesting (particularly the themes) and you can easily get at least a 7 with minimal revision.
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
At GCSE pick what is fun for you tbh.
I have done both, personally I found Latin extremely interesting at first but my interest died down which resulted in me doing poorly because I didn't really remember vocab well etc. But if you take an active approach to it, it should be fun and rewarding.

RS on the other hand was interesting too, it was fun learning about different cultures and religion and as @HannahGuys has already mentioned, it might be useful if you are doing psychology. The exams for RS were a lot easier imo. Latin was definitely much more work.

I am not sure if things are the same now, but if you want interesting content + easy exam, pick RS
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
My sister (who studied medicine at Nottingham) found that a lot of the people on her course had studied Latin at some point; as such they were able to memorise medical terminology more easily than she could (Latin wasn't an option for me or my sisters) :yes:
iamcool101
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your input guys! This really helped! I think I am going to stay with Latin because I do enjoy it and I am generally really good at memorisation subjects and languages and if it's useful for medicine and is more respected I think I should keep it. I wish I could have the space to do RS as well though because tbh I find that equally interesting!
I just have a question for anyone who has done Latin, is it particularly hard at GCSE?? Thanks a lot for your support guys!
millycanning
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your input guys! This really helped! I think I am going to stay with Latin because I do enjoy it and I am generally really good at memorisation subjects and languages and if it's useful for medicine and is more respected I think I should keep it. I wish I could have the space to do RS as well though because tbh I find that equally interesting!
I just have a question for anyone who has done Latin, is it particularly hard at GCSE?? Thanks a lot for your support guys!
ive done latin, i think it takes work but its super easy if you learn the vocab really well, I recommend looking up GCSE vocab list on quizlet. to learn constructions literally just make notes, and learn your set text translation as you go through it because its so worth it!! i learned for set text using quizlet xx
iamcool101
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by millycanning)
ive done latin, i think it takes work but its super easy if you learn the vocab really well, I recommend looking up GCSE vocab list on quizlet. to learn constructions literally just make notes, and learn your set text translation as you go through it because its so worth it!! i learned for set text using quizlet xx
thank you so much millycanning, you are so so helpful! xx
hgf123rty765
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
English lit (compulsory)
Maths (compulsory)
French
History
Computer Science
Latin

i found knowing Latin helps a lot in my Science terms.
iamcool101
Rep:
(Original post by hgf123rty765)
i found knowing Latin helps a lot in my Science terms.
thank youu yeah ive heard that somewhere b4 as well, do you mean in science gcses? im so happy i stayed with latin btw
Last edited by Arushi075; 11 months ago
hgf123rty765
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
thank youu yeah ive heard that somewhere b4 as well, do you mean in science gcses? im so happy i stayed with latin btw
ya in my gcse triple science.
iamcool101
Rep:
(Original post by hgf123rty765)
ya in my gcse triple science.
thankss just wanted to make sure!
Last edited by Arushi075; 11 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I really doubt having studied Latin will materially benefit you in studying medicine, since studying Latin is not about memorising vocab (which is the part that might be relevant to learning medical terminology) but about learning Latin grammar (and applying this to translations). Knowing the form of some participles and understanding the different uses of the ablative case isn't relevant or particularly useful outside of studying languages (particularly, ancient languages). So I wouldn't recommend taking it for that reason.

However in terms of medicine, for some (but not all) medical schools, GCSE grade profiles are very important. For these, the key thing is to take the GCSEs which will allow you to get the highest possibly grades (i.e. 8/9 grades). If Latin would be the best option for you in that regard, that might be worth keeping in mind in deciding whether to take it or something else. Note that universities do not give a toss what subjects you study at GCSE, outside of required ones (maths/English/sometimes science), only the grades you get in them. Therefore whether a subject is or isn't more "well respected" is entirely meaningless.

As far as "boring" goes, it really depends on what you are interested in. If you like learning grammar and applying it to translate passages of text from Latin, then you will probably like studying Latin. If you find learning grammar the worst part of language learning, you should definitely avoid ancient languages entirely. You will need to learn a lot of paradigms by heart, and be able to recognise particular forms in text passages as well as be able to identify them out of context, so there is a fair bit to memorise, which you then will need to apply in translations - so you need to both memorise things and be able to use them for unfamiliar text. Generally speaking ancient languages are hard at more or less any level and require a fair bit of dedication to slog your way through the grammar and memorisation elements.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 11 months ago
SupposedlyIronic
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I took both and they ended up being my best subjects. Latin was far more challenging but also highly interesting. I'm not great at languages so if you are then I'd imagine it won't be half as stressful as it seemed for me at the time.

Have a look at both courses and just see which piques your interest most. It doesn't matter in any regard except your enjoyment and proficiency. Both are good subjects but it won't matter which you picked when you get to A-Level/university stage.
susannahmad
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
English lit (compulsory)
Maths (compulsory)
French
History
Computer Science
Latin

rs is a lot easier
iamcool101
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I really doubt having studied Latin will materially benefit you in studying medicine, since studying Latin is not about memorising vocab (which is the part that might be relevant to learning medical terminology) but about learning Latin grammar (and applying this to translations). Knowing the form of some participles and understanding the different uses of the ablative case isn't relevant or particularly useful outside of studying languages (particularly, ancient languages). So I wouldn't recommend taking it for that reason.

However in terms of medicine, for some (but not all) medical schools, GCSE grade profiles are very important. For these, the key thing is to take the GCSEs which will allow you to get the highest possibly grades (i.e. 8/9 grades). If Latin would be the best option for you in that regard, that might be worth keeping in mind in deciding whether to take it or something else. Note that universities do not give a toss what subjects you study at GCSE, outside of required ones (maths/English/sometimes science), only the grades you get in them. Therefore whether a subject is or isn't more "well respected" is entirely meaningless.

As far as "boring" goes, it really depends on what you are interested in. If you like learning grammar and applying it to translate passages of text from Latin, then you will probably like studying Latin. If you find learning grammar the worst part of language learning, you should definitely avoid ancient languages entirely. You will need to learn a lot of paradigms by heart, and be able to recognise particular forms in text passages as well as be able to identify them out of context, so there is a fair bit to memorise, which you then will need to apply in translations - so you need to both memorise things and be able to use them for unfamiliar text. Generally speaking ancient languages are hard at more or less any level and require a fair bit of dedication to slog your way through the grammar and memorisation elements.
Yeah I can see where you are coming from, thanks a lot for this! I think I am going to stay with Latin though, since I do like languages and grammar learning is alright with me! Thank you so much for the info, this really helped
iamcool101
Rep:
thank you, i am really good at languages and memorising and grammar at school so i think i'll find latin an easy ride! thanks a lot for this- I'm staying with latin eee
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Yeah I can see where you are coming from, thanks a lot for this! I think I am going to stay with Latin though, since I do like languages and grammar learning is alright with me! Thank you so much for the info, this really helped
I'm definitely in favour of studying ancient languages (seeing as I'm studying one!) so I'm not trying to put you off, just making sure you go into it with realistic expectations It sounds like you are aware of what it takes though so hopefully you will get the most of the course as a result
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (85)
67.46%
No (29)
23.02%
I didn't use it to prepare (12)
9.52%

Watched Threads