The Student Room Group

Can someone please help me with this question? I'm not sure if he is a worker o

2) Consider the scenario of Marvin below, is Marvin a worker, employee or independent contractor?

Waqar and Sophia have paid Marvin for work and services he has provided to the business. Marvin has been helping out since the business began and used to only help with constructing spice bags for upcoming markets and large-scale events. For the last 18 months Marvin has been working more frequently, he works 30 hours a week, he reports to both Waqar and Sophia, who give clear instructions as to what work Marvin is to undertake. When Marvin cannot attend work, he has provided a list of 3 other people that Sophia and Waqar may contact to stand in his place. Marvin is paid in cash at minimum wage, he signed an A4 piece of paper headed ‘casual worker’, which includes a sentence stating, ‘this contract does not intend to place an obligation on the employer to offer any work or for the worker to accept any work’.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by aorkekwk
2) Consider the scenario of Marvin below, is Marvin a worker, employee or independent contractor?

Waqar and Sophia have paid Marvin for work and services he has provided to the business. Marvin has been helping out since the business began and used to only help with constructing spice bags for upcoming markets and large-scale events. For the last 18 months Marvin has been working more frequently, he works 30 hours a week, he reports to both Waqar and Sophia, who give clear instructions as to what work Marvin is to undertake. When Marvin cannot attend work, he has provided a list of 3 other people that Sophia and Waqar may contact to stand in his place. Marvin is paid in cash at minimum wage, he signed an A4 piece of paper headed ‘casual worker’, which includes a sentence stating, ‘this contract does not intend to place an obligation on the employer to offer any work or for the worker to accept any work’.

Marvin is an independent contractor.
Original post by Bc23

It would be more helpful to explain to the OP why Marvin is an independent contractor, or better still, guide them with some hints and questions that lead them to figure out that Marvin’s a contractor, rather than just give them the answer. I’d do it myself but I don’t know the first thing about business :dontknow:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Bc23

Okay, thanks. Do you know why he's an independent contract and not a worker?
Reply 4
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
It would be more helpful to explain to the OP why Marvin is an independent contractor, or better still, guide them with some hints and questions that lead them to figure out that Marvin’s a contractor, rather than just give them the answer. I’d do it myself but I don’t know the first thing about business :dontknow:

Thanks for your cooperation
Reply 5
Okay, thanks. Do you know why he's an independent contract and not a worker?

Marvin isnt employed by them, he is providing a service under a written contract
Reply 6
Original post by Bc23
Marvin isnt employed by them, he is providing a service under a written contract

Okay but as it say he’s contracted as a ‘casual worker’ why does this not make him a worker instead?
Is this tort? Or employment law?
Reply 8
Original post by Catherine1973

Employment Law
Reply 9
Original post by Catherine1973

Do you also believe it to be an independent Contractor?
Original post by Bc23

Do you also believe it to be an independent Contractor?

Marvin is a worker. In this case, Marvin can provide someone else to stand in his place when he cannot attend work which is not possible if he was an employee. Marvin is also not self-employed and, therefore, not an independent contractor.

Quick Reply

Latest