Should I go to LCF or wait a year and get into CSM?

Watch
Jamontoast88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I've got an unconditional offer to go to LCF this year but I also have the option to do a foundation at CSM and then go onto the full course a year later. Would you say its worth doing that?

In general I feel I'd be a better fit at CSM but I also am very conscious that another year would bite into my time and costs, and might not be needed.

I'm interested in fashion design menswear if that changes anything.

Any opinions or experiences at either school would be very helpful.

Thank you !!
Last edited by Jamontoast88; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
i think going to csm would definitely be better. if you can get a student loan for the foundation or can afford it, i would definitely take that route
Jamontoast88
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
i think going to csm would definitely be better. if you can get a student loan for the foundation or can afford it, i would definitely take that route
Is csm really that much better in order to wait a year?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jamontoast88)
Is csm really that much better in order to wait a year?
I think a lot of people think CSM is amazing because of the image. And it is normal for people not to get in. I think if you really want to go to CSM and can afford it. Do a foundation year. But LCF is also a fantastic university and you still can be successful but if u don’t feel comfortable to go to LCF then I would perhaps say not to go. But what people sometimes don’t realise is that CSM usualy only accept people on the basis that their work maybe doesn’t suit CSM and that would you be much suited for a course somewhere else and usually they can tell this straight away from your work and 100% your interview. I know how horrible it is not to get what you want but also these people also want to do the best for you and where your work is most suited. My mother friend attempted to get into CSM 4 years in a row and didn’t get accepted at all and in her 4th interview the final year, she was told (baring in mind this was a very long time ago) that her work is amazing it just doesn’t suit CSM. So it doesn’t mean that ur work isn’t fantastic and u won’t make it it’s just generally they looks for specific things. I wouldn’t put so much pressure on yourself at all. And doing a foundation at CSM in no way garantees that you will get in to a ba there. I think u need to think what u really want and belive in yourself because where ever you go u can push and make it. Also give a listen to the podcasts of the British fashion forum. There was a episode where this really successful woman her name was Nell I believe and she spoke about how she didn’t get accepted to CSM and she still has done amazing with her life and career. So please don’t stress.
Jamontoast88
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think a lot of people think CSM is amazing because of the image. And it is normal for people not to get in. I think if you really want to go to CSM and can afford it. Do a foundation year. But LCF is also a fantastic university and you still can be successful but if u don’t feel comfortable to go to LCF then I would perhaps say not to go. But what people sometimes don’t realise is that CSM usualy only accept people on the basis that their work maybe doesn’t suit CSM and that would you be much suited for a course somewhere else and usually they can tell this straight away from your work and 100% your interview. I know how horrible it is not to get what you want but also these people also want to do the best for you and where your work is most suited. My mother friend attempted to get into CSM 4 years in a row and didn’t get accepted at all and in her 4th interview the final year, she was told (baring in mind this was a very long time ago) that her work is amazing it just doesn’t suit CSM. So it doesn’t mean that ur work isn’t fantastic and u won’t make it it’s just generally they looks for specific things. I wouldn’t put so much pressure on yourself at all. And doing a foundation at CSM in no way garantees that you will get in to a ba there. I think u need to think what u really want and belive in yourself because where ever you go u can push and make it. Also give a listen to the podcasts of the British fashion forum. There was a episode where this really successful woman her name was Nell I believe and she spoke about how she didn’t get accepted to CSM and she still has done amazing with her life and career. So please don’t stress.
Thanks for the response its really helpful.
I'm kinda an anomaly with the whole application process because I only really decided I wanted to do a career in fashion early 2020 ( basically after the pandemic struck) and before that I was focused on the sciences at a level. So over this year I've taught myself stuff and made a portfolio, so I didn't really expect to get in to CSM off the bat.
Even getting into LCF was a bit of a surprise but it made me think that after another year I would be ready for CSM.
I have an incredible amount to learn but I just think if I have the chance to get into CSM I do want to take it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (78)
29.32%
No (188)
70.68%

Watched Threads