Question regarding computer science course

Watch
hss_1212
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is there any chance I could get some advice from a student/former student about the computer science course? I have been given an unconditional offer for computer science as a mature student, but I have some worries regarding the course and in general am having a bit of trouble with deciding which of my offers I am going to accept. My main worry is the maths involved with the course, as I do not have an A level in maths. I have been given guidance in the past suggesting to transition to BSc Computing if I have trouble coping with CS, but I do not intend to do that. I have no programming experience, I realise that programming is taught from scratch but I feel more comfortable with self teaching Python to give myself a head start, which won't be a problem. I understand that this course is generally mathematical, I am simply wondering how others found it if they did not do an A level in maths, or wasnt very confident to begin with. It would be a great help if I could get some guidance, thanks.
Last edited by hss_1212; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hss_1212)
Is there any chance I could get some advice from a student/former student about the computer science course? I have been given an unconditional offer for computer science as a mature student, but I have some worries regarding the course and in general am having a bit of trouble with deciding which of my offers I am going to accept. My main worry is the maths involved with the course, as I do not have an A level in maths. I have been given guidance in the past suggesting to transition to BSc Computing if I have trouble coping with CS, but I do not intend to do that. I have no programming experience, I realise that programming is taught from scratch but I feel more comfortable with self teaching Python to give myself a head start, which won't be a problem. I understand that this course is generally mathematical, I am simply wondering how others found it if they did not do an A level in maths, or wasnt very confident to begin with. It would be a great help if I could get some guidance, thanks.
Hi! hss_1212

I'm currently a student at the University of Portsmouth, however, I'm sorry I don't study computer science.
If you would like to speak to a current student in that course contact [email protected] and ask to speak to a course rep. A course rep will be able to give you a lot more detail.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (117)
27.08%
England (154)
35.65%
Belgium (33)
7.64%
Germany (42)
9.72%
Spain (10)
2.31%