Feelingbored
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,I'm hoping to study history at Cambridge this October. I'm really interested in a career in the civil service fast stream.Does anybody have any tips or advice on hopefully getting in? And what extracurriculars I need to do to help get there?Thank you
MrGilgamesh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Feelingbored)
Hi,I'm hoping to study history at Cambridge this October. I'm really interested in a career in the civil service fast stream.Does anybody have any tips or advice on hopefully getting in? And what extracurriculars I need to do to help get there?Thank you
Hi,

I've been successful with my FS application. I didn't really consider it until my final year, so kudos for thinking so far ahead.

My initial advice would just be to begin looking into the individual streams and which stream(s) catch your interest. There's plenty to choose from and each with their own merits (e.g. professional qualifications). Some departments have their own graduate programmes so you could consider applying to these as well.

I would also pay close attention to the FAQs section of the Fast Stream website to find out more about the recruitment process. You should find the general framework by which they assess candidates. This is would allow you to begin thinking about extra-curricular and other ways to bolster your employability for the Civil Service.

The TSR threads for the Fast Stream also have a lot of info on the application process. So you can search through those for any specific queries if needed.

Overall though, keep an open mind for your options after you graduate. You're bound to come across other schemes and jobs you (should) apply to, so focus on improving employability more generally rather than specifically for the Fast Stream. And most importantly, remember to make the most of your time at university.

Happy to answer any other questions you have
slibsliber
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would also recommend applying to the SDIP from which you can gain the fast pass which allows you to skip straight to the assessment centre.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (103)
27.61%
England (124)
33.24%
Belgium (29)
7.77%
Germany (40)
10.72%
Spain (8)
2.14%