alyxcts
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know that TLC is better than melting point in terms of purity but I don't know how it's tested can someone help me?
how is purity of TLC tested in industry?
how is the purity of melting point tested in industry?
Last edited by alyxcts; 1 month ago
gogrizz123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alyxcts)
I know that TLC is better than melting point in terms of purity but I don't know how it's tested can someone help me?
how is purity of TLC tested in industry?
how is the purity of melting point tested in industry?
u know TLC stands for thin layer chromatography right? You cant test the purity of TCL lol
alyxcts
Rep:
?
(Original post by gogrizz123)
u know TLC stands for thin layer chromatography right? You cant test the purity of TCL lol
???
jack_harrison
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TLC:
You can use a reference spot of aspirin that is known to be pure, and run your product against it. If your product and the pure aspirin appear at the same Rf value with no extra or missing traces, you know that your product is pure.

Melting point:
More pure samples melt over a smaller temperature range. And assuming your melting point is in the expected range for the compound, generally a higher melting point indicates higher purity (for a confusing explanation of this, look up eutectics).
alyxcts
Rep:
?
(Original post by jack_harrison)
TLC:
You can use a reference spot of aspirin that is known to be pure, and run your product against it. If your product and the pure aspirin appear at the same Rf value with no extra or missing traces, you know that your product is pure.

Melting point:
More pure samples melt over a smaller temperature range. And assuming your melting point is in the expected range for the compound, generally a higher melting point indicates higher purity (for a confusing explanation of this, look up eutectics).
does mixed melting point and melting point have the same principles?
jack_harrison
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alyxcts)
does mixed melting point and melting point have the same principles?
This is where the eutectics come in. In a mixture, the melting point will be below either of the pure substances'. This can be used as a check for whether you have a pure sample or a mixture. It's the same as the 'higher MP is more pure' thing that I mentioned in my first answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (196)
43.85%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.19%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.83%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (94)
21.03%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.51%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed