Zara_qwe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im going to Uni in manchester this September and im the process of looking for accommodation. The only uni halls accomodation that is available is £160 pcw, en suit, double bed between 4 people, 2 min walk from the uni but my strict parents had recommended that I stay in a house with one other person for £100 pcw, shared bathroom but a 19 min walk away. i dont want to be financially struggling with affording the accommodation but i really want to make friends and be surrounded by uni students as well. In the house i might be excluded as most stay in halls for the first year but it'll be cheaper. I'll be in my first year of uni so a fresher.

I really want to make friends and gain many experiences this year

i really hope someone can give me advice haha
thank you!!
Last edited by Zara_qwe; 1 month ago
SyedN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don’t really need to live in accommodation to make friends and experience university properly, if you think you’re going to struggle to pay for the £160pcw then I’d say go for the other one.

Firstly, you can always get a bus to uni if you don’t want to walk or can even bike it.

Secondly, there’s loads of people in UoM you’ll easily make friends through societies, your course, and just in general or freshers week.

Hope this helped, good luck!
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
then the real questions are: whether or not you can afford £160/w + expenses based on sfe+whatever other money you're getting; and whether you value a slightly easier social life over this (pretty large) cost of living in hall

living with 3 other people as oppose to 1 isn't a big step up socially - its entirely possible they're reclusive or boring. that said, living with 1 person 20 mins away from campus has a lot of potential to be dead - you;ll have to spend a lot of time travelling to and from campus, but that's not taht bad
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
then the real questions are: whether or not you can afford £160/w + expenses based on sfe+whatever other money you're getting; and whether you value a slightly easier social life over this (pretty large) cost of living in hall

living with 3 other people as oppose to 1 isn't a big step up socially - its entirely possible they're reclusive or boring. that said, living with 1 person 20 mins away from campus has a lot of potential to be dead - you;ll have to spend a lot of time travelling to and from campus, but that's not taht bad
Thanks alot this is the true reality of things haha, outta curiosity what was your own uni halls experience presuming that you had experience with it. ust the more experiences i hear the better if that makes sense
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyedN)
You don’t really need to live in accommodation to make friends and experience university properly, if you think you’re going to struggle to pay for the £160pcw then I’d say go for the other one.

Firstly, you can always get a bus to uni if you don’t want to walk or can even bike it.

Secondly, there’s loads of people in UoM you’ll easily make friends through societies, your course, and just in general or freshers week.

Hope this helped, good luck!
Thank you for replying! ive recieved the full amount for the maintenence loanand im not the type to blow out all my money but rather save it on necessities eg. food, accomodation etc. if you have any experiences of your own pls feel free to tell me haha it would really help but thanks again
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zara_qwe)
Thanks alot this is the true reality of things haha, outta curiosity what was your own uni halls experience presuming that you had experience with it. ust the more experiences i hear the better if that makes sense
i lived in a cheap hall (<£100/week for 42 weeks) with 13 other people sharing a kitchen and two bathrooms, it was right in the middle of campus and i greatly valued both that and the friends i made
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads