How long was everyone's job search?

Watch
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Mine was two months to land a graduate role, what about you guys.

It wasn't all roses though, I went 1-4 in final interviews.

But I did end up with a far fancier Central London role than I or anyone that knows of me on this website would have envisioned.

Let's just say I was a vocal misguided one in years one-three of my degree lol.

But ironically, what I'm doing now is all about being a bit critical of people's qualifications in a very exclusive industry.
Giangix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I started applying for jobs in August (just before starting my last year of university) and finally landed a job in April of next year. I applied for all possible graduate roles I could find. Looking back, it took me so long because my CV was not properly made when I started applying. So, many of those early applications resulted in a big waste of time for me.

If I could go back in time I would definitely take advantage of the careers service at Uni much more and much earlier in my university degree as well as creating a killer Linkedin profile and take advantage of services like gradtext to save a lot of time when applying.

At the end of the day, it is all numbers game, the more jobs you apply for the more likely you are to land one. Could be a week, or months!
route255
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Graduated last year. Still ongoing. Not been too many positions for grads. Case of constantly looking. Lack of experience is an issue, seem to get interviews but come up against someone with experience. Widening my horizons in terms of role yet still something I'm interested in. Applied for jobs through agencies in other cities but get asked how would you move or we are looking for someone local. Even retail jobs have been more thin on the ground in 2021. A numbers game indeed yet you still need to have pukka application.
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
since 2019
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually takes about 2 weeks on average to find a new job. I try to arrange at least one interview a day and then decide which one I wanna go for once I've gotten a few offers.
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
14.5 months, it was grueling tbh. Ended up at a company I like with great colleagues but I'm honestly unsure if I've fully recovered from the amount of stress I put on after 70ish applications/rejections.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alexschmalex)
14.5 months, it was grueling tbh. Ended up at a company I like with great colleagues but I'm honestly unsure if I've fully recovered from the amount of stress I put on after 70ish applications/rejections.
Bruh, going through it all again since I left my old job! 😪

How's life anyway?
Last edited by trapking; 1 month ago
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Proxenus)
since 2019
Are you tailoring your CV to each position you apply to? This small tip alone did wonders for me because I used to send the same CV to every company SMH (don't do that, always tailor it to the job position it increases your chances by a lot). Also use places like cvlibrary, LinkedIn and matchtech.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually between 4-11 days.
That said, I tend to get work through temporary agencies and personal recommendations.
I never apply for very competitive roles or graduate schemes.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
I never apply for very competitive roles or graduate schemes.
Agreed. I learned the hard way it's just not worth the stress.
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by trapking)
Are you tailoring your CV to each position you apply to? This small tip alone did wonders for me because I used to send the same CV to every company SMH (don't do that, always tailor it to the job position it increases your chances by a lot). Also use places like cvlibrary, LinkedIn and matchtech.
ofc my man each cv and cover takes a while ha. study the description and try score as many points on ATS
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ofc my man each cv and cover takes a while ha. study the description and try score as many points on ATS
ATS?

Cover Letters are not always necessary! Oh and don't waste your time applying for very competitive grad schemes/job roles.
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ATS?

Cover Letters are not always necessary! Oh and don't waste your time applying for very competitive grad schemes/job roles.
applicant tracking system

filters out 80% of cvs then the top 20 cvs with highest scores will get read by a Human

'i demonstrated leadership' = 0 points
'i demonstrated leadership during project X using X leadership style ....' = 1 point

normally the more competitive the programming the better structure and organised it is. you will meet many people your age better bonuses and will be Alot happier. I made it to final 10 for a grad role with 1003 applications so there's defo hope!

what's Ur status
Last edited by Proxenus; 1 month ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agreed. I learned the hard way it's just not worth the stress.
PRSOM
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
applicant tracking system

filters out 80% of cvs then the top 20 cvs with highest scores will get read by a Human

'i demonstrated leadership' = 0 points
'i demonstrated leadership during project X using X leadership style ....' = 1 point

normally the more competitive the programming the better structure and organised it is. you will meet many people your age better bonuses and will be Alot happier. I made it to final 10 for a grad role with 1003 applications so there's defo hope!

what's Ur status
Oh.

I had a good paying job but I didn't enjoy it so I left. Currently going through a bit of a career change.
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh.

I had a good paying job but I didn't enjoy it so I left. Currently going through a bit of a career change.
back on hunt?

what you going for now?
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
back on hunt?

what you going for now?
Yes.

Mechanical design engineering (sticking to my core discipline as opposed to going too outside).
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.

Mechanical design engineering (sticking to my core discipline, I was doing marine previously).
I hate design. I prefer supply chain, Operations, management
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by route255)
Graduated last year. Still ongoing. Not been too many positions for grads. Case of constantly looking. Lack of experience is an issue, seem to get interviews but come up against someone with experience. Widening my horizons in terms of role yet still something I'm interested in. Applied for jobs through agencies in other cities but get asked how would you move or we are looking for someone local. Even retail jobs have been more thin on the ground in 2021. A numbers game indeed yet you still need to have pukka application.
Try to get your CV right, and tailor it to that industry. Learn the keywords of the ATS, fabricate extra-curriculars you could have done at university but didn't. Alot of it is just playing a game.

Literally pick an industry...recruitment is hot right now for example, it's ****... But it gets you some experience. I'm in executive search, which is fancier recruitment, but I mainly got my job because of my language skills. But I haven't done a single internship ever lol. I do have a Russell group and a highly ranked dutch uni on my CV (MSc).
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Graduated in June, got my job offer (none graduate job) in august, started in september.

Has taken 7 months but have worked my way up into the graduate design position i wanted since before going to uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed