The Student Room Group
Glass will crack with point loads (it’s partly why glass almost always has rounded edges), I think it would most be susceptible to once it’s attached if you have drop something heavy on the table or move it sharply that it could crack where the metal clamp tightens into the glass surface.
Original post by IWMTom
Is there a metal frame to the desk?

Nope
You could consider getting some type of polymer foam to sit between the clamp teeth and the glass surface, which should damped sharp loads and distribute them around the surface a little more.
Original post by mnot
Glass will crack with point loads (it’s partly why glass almost always has rounded edges), I think it would most be susceptible to once it’s attached if you have drop something heavy on the table or move it sharply that it could crack where the metal clamp tightens into the glass surface.

Exactly, I thought so too. That's the risk unfortunately with first two stands I linked in the OP. What do you think of the third linked stand ? Do you think would be fine without any cracking risk to the glass desk ? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous370
Exactly, I thought so too. That's the risk unfortunately with first two stands I linked in the OP. What do you think of the third linked stand ? Do you think would be fine without any cracking risk to the glass desk ? Thanks :smile:

That should reduce risk a lot more than the first two, and it’s easy to put a soft matt underneath between the stand and the glass if the edges are sharp (but it looks like a flat bottom from the pics).
Original post by mnot
That should reduce risk a lot more than the first two, and it’s easy to put a soft matt underneath between the stand and the glass if the edges are sharp (but it looks like a flat bottom from the pics).

PRSOM, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending