Age gaps in relationships

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I find this an interesting topic, so I'm asking you! What do you personally believe the limit for age gaps in relationships should be?
username4838152
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
I dont think be a limit once someones an adult. People are free to live their lives how they want to. I do think maybe people could benefit from more education about how some older individuals may target people significantly younger than them in order to have power and abuse them. As that obviously isnt everyone, I dont believe there should be restrictions.
username5129378
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
why is it interesting?
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
Past 18 I don't think it matters
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Hazzz01)
why is it interesting?
Not the topic itself, more the varying opinions people have on it
Et Et Et
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I had a relationship with a girl who was 4 years older (so I was 18 and she was 22). It was an interesting dynamic. It worked, but she was noticeably more mature but a good learning experience haha.
relivemyyouth
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
It matters less as you get older and the range widens. So a 10 year gap is a lot for someone 18 dating someone 28 (the 28 year old would know way more and it wouldn’t be a relationship of equals) but not for someone who is 55 dating someone 65 (because they would both have a lot of experience so can be equals).
Anonymous #3
Report 8 months ago
Im in my 30's now and get more college age girls than ever be attracted to me, but also as Im now this age when I see women that age I think they are far too young for me

To me 21 is my ideal base, im not opposed to a 18 year old but i'd feel at that age shes too naive for the world and it would be super weird when in public, even though I often pass for much younger than I am, on a bad day I don't.

23-25 is my ideal age range for someone to date that way they are old enough to be past certain point in life and be at the point that settling down becomes in their future but young enough to rush in and we can take things at a reasonable pace.
sunshine774
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I think if you're over 18, who cares.

And it really depends on individual situations. Sometimes people are just being manipulated, used or abused and sometimes the people involved actually love each other.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
The 1/2 age + 7 rule is a remarkably good guide to keep things wholesome or prevent becoming a laughing stock. Once you’re over 18 you can make your own choices
relivemyyouth
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
so if you are 20, you can date someone 0.5*20=10 + 7 = 37?

(Original post by Zarek)
The 1/2 age + 7 rule is a remarkably good guide to keep things wholesome or prevent becoming a laughing stock. Once you’re over 18 you can make your own choices
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by relivemyyouth)
so if you are 20, you can date someone 0.5*20=10 + 7 = 37?
No, the youngest person a 20 year old can date is 10+7 = 17
relivemyyouth
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Zarek)
No, the youngest person a 20 year old can date is 10+7 = 17
Lol, I like it. Was running through different age bands in my mind and it makes a lot of sense.
Last edited by relivemyyouth; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (65)
12.45%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.72%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.86%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.24%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (252)
48.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.45%

Watched Threads