chocobi
Badges: 12
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is mainly aimed at straight econ/BSc Economics applicants. I've heard that competition this year was unbelievably tough, with people having 4A*s being rejected from their insurance choice... so just how tough was it? Why is it different to other years?
EU Yakov
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
did these students have four A*s tho or was this a teacher waving their magic wand and making 4 A*s appears on a student's UCAS

🤔
Rohan Perara
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chocobi)
This is mainly aimed at straight econ/BSc Economics applicants. I've heard that competition this year was unbelievably tough, with people having 4A*s being rejected from their insurance choice... so just how tough was it? Why is it different to other years?
I go to a fairly decent grammar school. From the people I know 4 people, including my self, were predicted 4 A* whether we deserve or not is dependent on the teacher but at GCSE none of our top 8 average was lower than 8.5. All 4 were rejected from oxbridge, LSE and UCL( was our insurance). So yh this year hasn't been great.
chocobi
Badges: 12
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Rohan Perara)
I go to a fairly decent grammar school. From the people I know 4 people, including my self, were predicted 4 A* whether we deserve or not is dependent on the teacher but at GCSE none of our top 8 average was lower than 8.5. All 4 were rejected from oxbridge, LSE and UCL( was our insurance). So yh this year hasn't been great.
Oh that sucks. How about Warwick? Where are you guys going now?
confuzzledteen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I do believe that Economics this year was insanely competitive. I have A*A*A*A + A* (EPQ) predicted, and I got rejected from Cambridge + UCL. The Camb rejection didn't shock me, but I thought I had a fairly decent shot at UCL.. I did get into LSE though, which I'm thankful for.
Another friend w/ A*A*A* got rejected from both UCL + Warwick (he didn't apply to LSE/ Oxbridge). I think he's firming Bath.
I'm in an Economics Applicants 2021 gc on Insta,, there's about 13 of us all with similar grade profiles (A*A*A*A*/ A*A*A*A). Yet all 13 of us were rejected by Cambridge, only 4 of us got into LSE, 2 of us got into UCL (fewer people as fewer people applied there), and like 4 of us got rejected from Warwick.ite And I think it sucks tbh, that these people have put so much effort and thought into school etc. to attain such good predicted grades, just to get rejected from 3-4 of their choices.
BenRyan99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't care too much about being rejected from UCL as LSE's BSc Economics course is better anyway so congrats! I think the top unis especially Oxbridge will have looked at GCSE grades even more closely this year. As economics one of the most competitive uni courses I could imagine that they just filtered out anyone without all 9's (or close to) and those that didn't do FM at A2.

You've got to remember that you were applying against all the people who were gifted the inflated grades last year that took a gap year because of the pandemic. So the unis probably had a stack of very high (technically already achieved) grades. So these on top of all the inflated grades this year was always going to make this year very hard for genuinely good applicants to stand out

It's ironic because assuming that you're actually strong applicants and the teachers haven't just gifted you those grades, the whole teachers grade system has screwed lots of you over. I guess it's so tough for unis to distinguish between the lemons and the peaches when everyone has 3-4 A*'s.

Might have been better off for you guys to bank the inflated teacher grades and just apply next year where you'll be competing against those who haven't got the inflated predictions and they actually have to sit the exams and do the work.
lulu498
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BenRyan99)
I wouldn't care too much about being rejected from UCL as LSE's BSc Economics course is better anyway so congrats! I think the top unis especially Oxbridge will have looked at GCSE grades even more closely this year. As economics one of the most competitive uni courses I could imagine that they just filtered out anyone without all 9's (or close to) and those that didn't do FM at A2.

You've got to remember that you were applying against all the people who were gifted the inflated grades last year that took a gap year because of the pandemic. So the unis probably had a stack of very high (technically already achieved) grades. So these on top of all the inflated grades this year was always going to make this year very hard for genuinely good applicants to stand out

It's ironic because assuming that you're actually strong applicants and the teachers haven't just gifted you those grades, the whole teachers grade system has screwed lots of you over. I guess it's so tough for unis to distinguish between the lemons and the peaches when everyone has 3-4 A*'s.

Might have been better off for you guys to bank the inflated teacher grades and just apply next year where you'll be competing against those who haven't got the inflated predictions and they actually have to sit the exams and do the work.
This is it in a nutshell!
LSEjerker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by chocobi)
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
Yeah I do believe that Economics this year was insanely competitive. I have A*A*A*A + A* (EPQ) predicted, and I got rejected from Cambridge + UCL. The Camb rejection didn't shock me, but I thought I had a fairly decent shot at UCL.. I did get into LSE though, which I'm thankful for.
Another friend w/ A*A*A* got rejected from both UCL + Warwick (he didn't apply to LSE/ Oxbridge). I think he's firming Bath.
I'm in an Economics Applicants 2021 gc on Insta,, there's about 13 of us all with similar grade profiles (A*A*A*A*/ A*A*A*A). Yet all 13 of us were rejected by Cambridge, only 4 of us got into LSE, 2 of us got into UCL (fewer people as fewer people applied there), and like 4 of us got rejected from Warwick.ite And I think it sucks tbh, that these people have put so much effort and thought into school etc. to attain such good predicted grades, just to get rejected from 3-4 of their choices.
3A*A/4A* and got rejected from Warwick?! I never thought Warwick was that selective. Was Warwick still the easiest to get an offer from compared to LSE and UCL this year?
confuzzledteen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LSEjerker)
3A*A/4A* and got rejected from Warwick?! I never thought Warwick was that selective. Was Warwick still the easiest to get an offer from compared to LSE and UCL this year?
100%, yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
30.88%
No (47)
69.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed