scared to start a new chapter

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so im in high school and finish in 3 weeks and im feling pretty scared and down to go to college a little happy but not alot
i dont want to lose any of my current friends but were all taking different a level subjects and some are going to different schools and weve been friends for 5 years
i also feel like a levels are gonna be so hard that i wont do well and fail its scary going from an easy going high school atmosphere to aa brand new chapter of your life
im also scared about making new friends i know i have to but i want to also stay close with my current friends and im woried that no ones going to want to be my friend and ill just be a loner for 2 years
im scared of growing up
JGLM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
so im in high school and finish in 3 weeks and im feling pretty scared and down to go to college a little happy but not alot
i dont want to lose any of my current friends but were all taking different a level subjects and some are going to different schools and weve been friends for 5 years
i also feel like a levels are gonna be so hard that i wont do well and fail its scary going from an easy going high school atmosphere to aa brand new chapter of your life
im also scared about making new friends i know i have to but i want to also stay close with my current friends and im woried that no ones going to want to be my friend and ill just be a loner for 2 years
im scared of growing up
I split away from my primary school friends back when I was 10 (much less social experience) and I didn’t want to make new friends. Same story.
In the end, I still talk to my old friends 8 years later, we go out together etc. I also have plenty of new friends that invited themselves into my life and i’m glad I ended up meeting them. You’ll be fine.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
After school, people normally express themselves for who they truly are. The people you meet outside of school are probably going to be the ones you be in touch with. Not to like scare you or anything but try looking at the positives of independence.

i also feel like a levels are gonna be so hard that i wont do well
It’s definitely hard but manageable if you study effectively

and fail its scary going from an easy going high school atmosphere to aa brand new chapter of your life
Definitely. I unfortunately had to experience that too, it’s not that bad because most people are in a similar position to you and would be happy to make friends with you!

also stay close with my current friends and im woried that no ones going to want to be my friend and ill just be a loner for 2 years
im scared of growing up

Yeah, you definitely have to be up for making new friends in college though because not everyone might be 16. Some may be older etc. So just be positive and not try and look at the negatives. This is a new chapter of independence. Learn from it, get your grades, and go to university!
Cryoraptor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had the exact same feeling when I was leaving secondary school. I'd cut every and all ties from primary school when I totally didn't want to and I didn't want to make the same mistake. Fast forward nearly 2 years and 2 people from secondary school/sixth form are my best friends to this day and only last Tuesday we went to Canterbury for the day. I still talk to a couple others from school and one other person from school who I used to be good friends with came over once (he is a c*nt now but we were good friends at the time), but slowly it's fading. I've left college now and I have one friend there and I've noticed that the river between our worlds is getting more and more flooded and I need to move in and build that bridge sooner than later. It would be easier to just let the river completely flood and engorge into an impassable sea, but he's a right laugh and I'd rather not lose touch. The same applies to the rest of the people from school but I think with the way it's going eventually that will be the case. I've had several online friends over the years but there are two people in particular who I have become quite close with and have spoken to for a long time now and I hope to meet them both one day. I will probably meet one sooner than the other because reasons, ironically that one being the one I've not known for as long, but still a year now.

Point is, you will keep in touch with some friends and move on from others. You'll eventually find that there were some 'friends' that you really didn't like much and you'll end up quite happy that you lost touch in the end. If my experience is anything to go by and from what I've seen from old schoolmates' instagrams and such, you'll probably stay friends with 2-4 people from school and lose contact with the rest, which you will eventually won't be bothered about. You tend to refine and trim down your friend group from a whole 'group' to a few people as you get older and friendships transition into long-term relationships. By the time you are my mum's age for instance, you probably won't want to bother being friends with more than 2 or 3 people, because friendships come with an emotional tax and your capacity for emotional tax decreases as you age, especially when a long-term romantic partner comes into play, as that comes with an incredible emotional tax.

The people you meet outside of school are probably going to be the ones you be in touch with
Very true. If you've met people outside of school, then congratulations, you will most likely continue being friends with them. If you've never really talked outside of school, then you're not that close to them and mentally they are fairly easily replaced.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
30.43%
No (48)
69.57%

Watched Threads