How hard is it to find a part time job?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I can’t afford to pay my uni accommodation next year unless I get a part time job. How hard is it to find one? When should I start applying for one to ensure that I have one by September/October? I will be in Cambridge.
UrFellowMedic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From what I believe, if you are studying at Cambridge university, isn’t there a policy where you can only get part time work during the times you don’t have any lectures (so the holidays between each term)? I’m not sure how they regulate this but Yh apparently from what I heard you can’t get a part time job during your terms.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by UrFellowMedic)
From what I believe, if you are studying at Cambridge university, isn’t there a policy where you can only get part time work during the times you don’t have any lectures (so the holidays between each term)? I’m not sure how they regulate this but Yh apparently from what I heard you can’t get a part time job during your terms.
I’ll be studying at Anglia Ruskin in Cambridge, no the uni of Cambridge
UrFellowMedic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ohhhh my bad. Yh I’m sure ARU doesn’t have this policy. Why not try apply as a waiter/waitress or a barista at some local shops. Or you can always try doing private tutoring online at your own rates and tutor any relatives or close family members! Those are my suggestions!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can’t afford to pay my uni accommodation next year unless I get a part time job. How hard is it to find one? When should I start applying for one to ensure that I have one by September/October? I will be in Cambridge.
Hello!

I think it's a great idea to have a part time job whilst at university. I was in the same position as you where i couldn't afford my accommodation on my loan so needed a part time job to cover it and to pay for living costs.

Around half- 3/4 of all my friends have had a part-time job whilst at uni or worked over the holidays when not at uni to save money.
Before starting uni I had a full time job over summer to save to be able to pay for rent which was very helpful. Also, over the summer before uni I was madly applying to lots of jobs at my university city and it can be really stressful trying to find a job, but you will find one that suits you!

I've had a job throughout my three years at uni doing anywhere from 4-16 hours a week and managed to balance my life style. I've worked as a retail assistant at two different shops and a front of house assistant at a theatre. You have to find what works best for you, and stay organised so that your prioritise your uni work/ revision, but also manage to have time to relax and chill out.

Usually I have been paid minimum wage which in the UK for an 18 year old is £6.15.

I looked on Indeed for jobs as well as shopping centres own career pages (which is how I found out about the two retail assistant jobs). You can set up alerts on Indeed to send you an email when a new job is posted, and I found this so helpful!

I have worked the past year working as a Student Ambassador, which I have loved so much! Its very well paid (above minimum wage!) and flexible around my uni work. I would really recommend! I found the job on my university careers page. This is a really useful source to find a job internally in the University, but also an external job in the local area, as I found jobs posted on my careers page that weren't on Indeed. So definitely have a look from now until summer at your university's career page to see if you can sort a job for when you start uni!

Best of luck!
Sam- Official Student Rep
ARUOfficial
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hi!
Firstly, congratulations! We're so happy to hear you'll be joining us this September.

The best place that any ARU student would tell you to try for flexible part-time work that fits in around your studies is ARU Temps.

It's an employment agency based on campus with some lovely recruitment staff who have both the purpose of finding ARU students and graduates work but also can offer CV / interview prep and support too.

They work within the university, e.g. finding student ambassadors for open days etc - which can be helpful if you just want the odd job here and there. But they also can help you find semi-permanent positions and they work with outside/city employers as well as those within the University walls.
A lot of our students have part-time work - not all through ARU Temps, either. With a student city so full of restaurants and 2 very large malls - you are bound to be able to find some retail/hospitality work if you wish, too.

TIPS
My advice would be to have a CV ready and get in touch with employers straight away or even before you arrive in case there are a lot of students doing a similar thing after the first weeks.

I'd also recommend you bring your passport (as proof you can work in the UK)

Finally, register with ARU Temps in advance too - you can do this on their website (link above)

I hope this is enough info but if you have any other questions, please do ask
best wishes and we look forward to meeting you in September.
Megan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (37)
28.68%
No (92)
71.32%

Watched Threads