a.barthel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am an American junior in high school (3rd year) and am a little worried about my admission chances. I'm hoping to apply for History (MA)

AP- 3 in Language and Composition and 4 European History,4 in psychology, 4 in macroeconomics, and 5 in miroeconmics.
ACT- 29

Any help, insight, or advice would be appreciated!!
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think your applicant chances could be quite good as Edinburgh really likes international students. I don’t know anything about the American entry requirements but if you look on the Edinburgh university website it will tell you the minimum entry requirements for US applicants. Also if you look on the Edinburgh university thread for 2021, someone created a spreadsheet of responses so you can look and see what other US applicants scores are for this year and if they got accepted. If you apply through ucas you get to choose 5 different courses but it’s normally better to stick to the same subject so your personal statement fits the courses for £26 so I’d also apply to other unis With UCAS you can apply to any university in the U.K.
Last edited by Ototot; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by a.barthel)
I am an American junior in high school (3rd year) and am a little worried about my admission chances. I'm hoping to apply for History (MA)

AP- 3 in Language and Composition and 4 European History,4 in psychology, 4 in macroeconomics, and 5 in miroeconmics.
ACT- 29

Any help, insight, or advice would be appreciated!!
Are you taking any APs right now with results pending in July? Might be helpful to have at least one more 5.
Also, look at the specific entry requirements for History (not the US general page). Convert A* or A = 5 at AP. B = 4 at AP.
Previous poster was correct about the personal statement. It is a completely different approach than the common app essay. Be very targeted to your chosen subject and why you want to study history. What have you read recently to back up your desire to study history? Where have you been that further proves your depth of knowledge?
The teacher recommendation section is different too. Does your counselor have experience writing UCAS recommendations? If not, ask them to familiarize themselves over the summer. Mine was really glad I gave her fair warning.
Finally, be prepared to wait! Don’t expect Edinburgh to process your application before the May 1 deadline. There is a risk they won’t, and you’ll be stuck hanging on, hoping, while your friends party and wear their college t’shirts!!
a.barthel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Are you taking any APs right now with results pending in July? Might be helpful to have at least one more 5.
Also, look at the specific entry requirements for History (not the US general page). Convert A* or A = 5 at AP. B = 4 at AP.
Previous poster was correct about the personal statement. It is a completely different approach than the common app essay. Be very targeted to your chosen subject and why you want to study history. What have you read recently to back up your desire to study history? Where have you been that further proves your depth of knowledge?
The teacher recommendation section is different too. Does your counselor have experience writing UCAS recommendations? If not, ask them to familiarize themselves over the summer. Mine was really glad I gave her fair warning.
Finally, be prepared to wait! Don’t expect Edinburgh to process your application before the May 1 deadline. There is a risk they won’t, and you’ll be stuck hanging on, hoping, while your friends party and wear their college t’shirts!!
i’m not currently taking any aps this year, will that be a problem?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.35%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (65)
30.23%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.63%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.37%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.58%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.44%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.4%

Watched Threads