Is it alright to be white?

Watch
Sha-ney-ney
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just asking to see what the response is but is it alright to be white?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sha-ney-ney)
Yes and I think you may have come up with a phrase to go alongside BLM.

BLM but it's ABW (alright to be white)
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, you have to spraypainted purple...

Seriously, what kind of a question is this, given you don't have a say in the matter. Why wouldn't it be alright to be white?
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.

/thread
Strange5050
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seems like a ****-stirring post.
-Imperator-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have a decent scourge for self-flagellation? Should be good to go and "be white".
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, olive skin is best.
That's why light skinned people go sun tanning and dark skin people want to use skin lighteners but are oppressed by people claiming it's racists.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
only time i heard/read about something close to this was a few years ago when kids put up 'It's Okay to be White' posters around the University of Manitoba (Canada). they targeted the women and gender department (even sent a fax to that department), the Native studies department and in places where international students and Indigenous students congregate in large numbers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...es-office/amp/

it's a saying adapted by neo-Nazi and far-right groups going back a couple decades; so yeah it's okay to be white but the saying has been used to imply some kind of white victimhood and harass people of colour across Canadian universities.
-Imperator-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joleee)
only time i heard/read about something close to this was a few years ago when kids put up 'It's Okay to be White' posters around the University of Manitoba (Canada). they targeted the women and gender department (even sent a fax to that department), the Native studies department and in places where international students and Indigenous students congregate in large numbers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...es-office/amp/

it's a saying adapted by neo-Nazi and far-right groups going back a couple decades; so yeah it's okay to be white but the saying has been used to imply some kind of white victimhood and harass people of colour across Canadian universities.
It's not just in Canada, there's a certain neo-fascist party in the UK (the progeny of the now defunct BNP) who have taken pictures of their members holding great a big banner with the slogan on it while out on a country walk. It's 100% a white nationalist slogan.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by -Imperator-)
It's not just in Canada, there's a certain neo-fascist party in the UK (the progeny of the now defunct BNP) who have taken pictures of their members holding great a big banner with the slogan on it while out on a country walk. It's 100% a white nationalist slogan.
Ok change the above slogan idea to NAW - not alright to be White
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joleee)
I think an extremist communist group did the same thing with what was it called... Black Lives Matter. .
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not only is it alright it's great!

Name:  Screenshot_2021-02-28-21-25-54-85.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  118.2 KB

You should be proud of your ancestry and where you come from, this is normal and healthy behaviour.
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
Not only is it alright it's great!

You should be proud of your ancestry and where you come from, this is normal and healthy behaviour.
you can be proud of being norwegian, or irish, or french, or russian, or (insert country with white people I'm really bad at geography) but being proud of being white is pretty racist.
not because being white is inherently bad, it's just not something that has any special characteristics about it to be proud of.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
you can be proud of being norwegian, or irish, or french, or russian, or (insert country with white people I'm really bad at geography) but being proud of being white is pretty racist.
not because being white is inherently bad, it's just not something that has any special characteristics about it to be proud of.
What about the people that are proud of being black?
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What about the people that are proud of being black?
due to the slave trade, many african americans (at least in the US) don't have a definitive location to trace their ancestry back to, so "black pride" is usually about overcoming oppression, similar to lgbt+ pride. White pride is usually celebrated by self-proclaimed neo-nazis.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
due to the slave trade, many african americans (at least in the US) don't have a definitive location to trace their ancestry back to, so "black pride" is usually about overcoming oppression, similar to lgbt+ pride.

White pride is usually celebrated by self-proclaimed neo-nazis.
Why can't they have African pride or just American pride?

Isn't that just guilt by association?
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why can't they have African pride or just American pride?

Isn't that just guilt by association?
Because african culture is very different than african american culture, due to the way culture is shaped by oppression. There's also a disconnect, as being african has no definitive culture (grouping Zulu and Xhosa people together as one culture would be quite strange) in the same way being a black american does.

I guess you could call it that, I would call it a dogwhistle.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because african culture is very different than african american culture, due to the way culture is shaped by oppression. There's also a disconnect, as being african has no definitive culture (grouping Zulu and Xhosa people together as one culture would be quite strange) in the same way being a black american does.
That doesn't make sense as supporting black pride would also incorporate the exact same problems that African pride would eg it would include the disparate groups.

Also you didn't say why they shouldn't have just American Pride?

Lastly plenty of non American black people have black pride including people like Akala who can trace his ancestry back to his national heritage: is he a racist?
TasteLikeChicken
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know this has become a bit of a dog whistle, but absolutely it is.

The fact that people got mad about 'it's okay to be white' signs being posted was a bit silly. It gives legitimacy to the stupid white supremacists who believe in white genocide and other conspiracy theories.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads